Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A trip down memory lane...89' 325is + S52 inside!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow nice build! I love the attention to detail on the strut modification, they look great. Congrats on getting engaged too! Keep us updated, I love build thread likes this.

Comment

what are guys doing these days about the dual temp sensor issue with the s52s? did you tap the head or are there ways around this now to get your temp gauge to work?
      1988 e30 alpine white vert 5speed
      1987 e30 325 eta
      1983 e28 533
      2001 x5 4.4l
      1997 e36 M3 Alpine white 5speed
      1991 Jeep XJ I6 4.0

Comment

Mitch500, you can rethread the stock single pin brown top M20 temp sensor and thread it into the throttle body heater hole. Though you remove the throttle body heating function, which you will need in cold places.

Gret build, and congrats on the engagement!
        My previous build (currently E30-less)
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Thanks for the props, guys! I've been married for exactly one month now, and I must say I love the lifestyle...and the fact the wifey has been encouraging me to get out in the garage and finish the e30. Today I hit a major milestone...I got it started up! It all started this last weekend...as I posted in my last update, I needed to build an exhaust, replace some brake lines, install the clutch line, bleed the system, and fill the motor with oil/coolant/ps fluid, and crank it up.

I started with the exhaust...I decided to build the headers down into one 2.5" pipe, build in 2 O2 ports, one for the factory sensor, one for wideband at a later date, and then merge into the aft section of the e36 exhaust I had. Building the merge was time consuming, and not the prettiest, nor did I get many pics, but its decent! I went catless and am utilizing the e36 resonators and rear section, the rest is all me. I'll let the pics do the talking...

The fitment came out really well IMO...scope how closely it fits to the body!

I will post pics of the rear section when I finish modifying the rear muffler for the e30 bumper. As for the brake lines...this was the reason for replacing:

Due to budget constraints, I just replaced with new OEM lines. I then bled the system using a Motive Power Bleeder which made the job a snap, filled with ATE Super Blue of course. After that, I installed my TRM chip, put in a new battery, filled the engine with fluids, and pulled the fuel pump fuse so I could crank it to prime the motor w/oil. So, I key up the ignition, twist the key, and....nothing :( I ran out of time (this was Sunday) due to need to go to a friend's wedding, but I vowed to figure it out today (Monday).

Today, I got off work and was wondering how it would be possible my starter wasn't working. I immediately thought maybe I mixed up some wires on the starter, but its hard to mix up wires on the starter IMO, since the lug diameter pretty much ensures you only install one way, so I thought I'd look for something even easier. After about 10 minutes of looking, I found the culprit...I forgot to install the motor-chassis ground cable! I didn't have the one from the S52 or my M20, but I had a cable off an old nissan of mine that was just the right size. I threw the cable on, reconnected the battery and cranked it up...turned over just fine! I cranked until the low oil pressure light cleared, and then reinstalled the fuel pump fuse for the real deal...It cranked up on my second try...the first one was getting fuel all the way up to the rail I'm guessing.

So far, it idles incredibly smooth on the TRM tune. I only ran it for a few seconds today, and I need to rebleed my clutch before I drive, but I'm looking forward to the test drive either tomorrow or the next day! Thanks for looking guys...look forward to more updates as I can finally get to work on the cosmetic side of the car and cleaning up the engine bay!

Cheers!
          -Gavin

Last edited by gkurey; 10-12-2010, 08:41 AM. Reason: Misspeller....grrr

Comment

I've got video!

Comment

Nice job stubob :up:
              ( f ; _ ; )f

Comment

congratulations.....great job
                https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7475/...1e97724413.jpg

Comment

Awesome!

Aviation Week?
                  I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

Haha, yeah....related to my future occupation!

Comment

Congrats! Glad to see its running.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                      1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                      1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                      2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

What headers are those?

Comment

Awesome to hear it run! I have the exact same e30 and now i feel inadequate.... I need to do a motor swap!

Comment

Originally posted by STAGGERED M3 View Post
                            What headers are those?
                            TMS shorty replicas by the looks of it.

Comment

Originally posted by gkurey View Post
                              Haha, yeah....related to my future occupation!
                              Aerospace is good ;)

Originally posted by Voluted View Post
                              TMS shorty replicas by the looks of it.
                              Who makes reps?
                              I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

Originally posted by markseven View Post
                                Aerospace is good ;)

Who makes reps?

Especially when you're flying!! Mark, I got them off ebay...trick is you search for m50 headers, not s50/52. I don't see any on there now, but they pop up from time to time; and they're cheap too...hopefully they last at least a little while.

Comment

Working...
                                X