should i replace the tranny fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

should i replace the tranny fluid

ive in person see multiple local guys get a e30, and put new tranny fluid in there automatic tranny and BOOOOOM!!! the gears seize up and wont shift, i have heard it also has happened in a manual trans???????

with this said i have a 1988 325i with a manual trans, im doing a stage 4 clutch and the usual maintenance along with it, rear main seal, front and rear tranny seals, flywheel resurface, a good cleaning and some other stuff,

while the tranny is out of the car i checked the fluid, its low and brown, which means its prolly burnt, how safe is it to add new fluid to a manual tranny, is there a specific fluid i could use and wouldn't cause me any issues, thanks in advance for the help
    Last edited by custom e30; 09-12-2013, 02:28 PM.

Originally posted by custom e30 View Post
    ive in person see multiple local guys get a e30, and put new tranny fluid in there automatic tranny and BOOOOOM!!! the gears seize up and wont shift, i have heard it also has happened in a manual trans???????

with this said i have a 1988 325i with a manual trans, im doing a stage 4 clutch and the usual maintenance along with it, rear main seal, front and rear tranny seals, flywheel resurface, a good cleaning and some other stuff,

while the tranny is out of the car i checked the fluid, its low and brown, which means its prolly burnt, how safe is it to add new fluid to a manual tranny, is there a specific fluid i could use and wouldn't cause me any issues, thanks in advance for the help
    Side of transmission will tell you. Either ATF or Redline MTL fluid. Many threads about years and transmissions and what they take i've just used that method. Unless the label has came off.

Comment

but with a tranny this mold and the fluid never being replaced, its a risk, so i wanna know if anyone else has been successful with new fluid and the gears not locking up, the fluid in mine has never been replaced so its very broken in for thaat fluid, new fluid wouldnt be any better lubed, so friction could happen and cause issues

Comment

Originally posted by custom e30 View Post
        but with a tranny this mold and the fluid never being replaced, its a risk, so i wanna know if anyone else has been successful with new fluid and the gears not locking up, the fluid in mine has never been replaced so its very broken in for thaat fluid, new fluid wouldnt be any better lubed, so friction could happen and cause issues
        Dang that is shitty. I would think new fluid would make the gears sync smoothly, because the old fluid wasn't doing its job. Might even get some junk out of it. But yeah i have never heard of it not locking up. I'm sure others will give some feedback here.

Comment

In the case of a manual transmission, a fluid change with the correct fluid will never result in the death of transmission.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

thanks for the vote of confidence, im gonna change it tomorow

Comment

Working...
            X