Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do I start?

Hey everyone,

I have an 86 325is with a 2.7L stroker motor. The power it makes is nice, but it's time for more. I don't want to throw money at engine mods that won't give me the 350-400 horsepower I want. So! I know how turbos work, but I have ZERO idea where to start. I hear that ebay kits are crap (cheap, though), and I have a budget of around 1200-1500 MAX. I need this done by June of next year, August at the latest.

Basically, does anyone know how to help me get started? What do I need, and where can I find cheap, good parts? I would rather create a good turbo kit than buy a bad one for cheap. I was thinking a turbonetics turbo, but then again I don't know what's best. Let me know!

you're going to have a hard time meeting your budget of 1500. Decent management is where you will make your power, I'll always suggest a standalone like megasquirt or VEMS. Additionally, in order to tune you need to spend money on a wideband or dyno time. Injectors, intercooler, manifold, exhaust and intercooler piping, oil lines, and other knick-knacks are what will eat into your budget.

You can get away with just throwing parts into your car with a RRFPR or SAFC (not sure anyone has done this) but you are saving money in the wrong place. 350-400whp is going to be difficult at 1500 when you really tally everything up. I think 2k is probably more realistic for a budget build, but I suppose anything can be done.

Basically, it comes back to the old "Cheap/Fast/Reliable, Choose two" adage, which is pretty accurate.
    '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
    NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
    Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by Black325e View Post
      Hey everyone,

I have an 86 325is with a 2.7L stroker motor. The power it makes is nice, but it's time for more. I don't want to throw money at engine mods that won't give me the 350-400 horsepower I want. So! I know how turbos work, but I have ZERO idea where to start. I hear that ebay kits are crap (cheap, though), and I have a budget of around 1200-1500 MAX(BETTER STICK WITH EBAY CRAP). I need this done by June of next year, August at the latest.

Basically, does anyone know how to help me get started? What do I need, and where can I find cheap, good parts? I would rather create a good turbo kit than buy a bad one for cheap. I was thinking a turbonetics turboJUST BLEW HALF OF YOUR BUDGET, ADD STAND ALONE....AND LETS PICK SAY...INJECTORS, BOOM BUDGET SHOT., but then again I don't know what's best. Let me know!

JAXX nailed it, Cheap/Fast/Reliable. sorry but $1500 isn't even close to a realistic number for a decent turbo setup......and not ever remotely close for 400hp.
      sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

If you were able to double your budget, you still probably wouldn't be able to reach 400hp. My advice is to save your money, do some research, and then start buying parts. Doing your research before you buy will save you a lot of money in the end. A decent turbo build (300-400hp) usually ends up costing around $4000+ after turbo, manifold, injectors, clutch, ecu, tuning, etc. So basically:
        1. Save more money. you could probably build a 250whp e30 with your budget, but you'd be left broke and wanting more
        2. Do your research
        3. Buy a bunch of shit and have fun

Comment

Thanks guys! Good to know I have to save a lot more. Again, I'm brand new to this turbo stuff, so I didn't know what I was getting into. I will look around a bit!

Comment

Is this your daily driver? If so save up for another car then. My car was down at least 6 months. Also you need to take into account how much a tune costs I have $600+ in a tune alone and I'm not even at 400hp
            1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
            COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Working...
            X