Flushing Coolant System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flushing Coolant System

Hey everybody! I'm in the process of replacing my water pump as it fell apart last week. It was the original that had a plastic impeller and there is zero plastic left on the pump which leads me to believe it's all in the engine somewhere. I'm wondering how to flush the engine? It's something I have never done before. Right now the coolant is drained and the new water pump is not installed yet. Thanks in advance! Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1458319509540.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	7247549

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Man. Check M42club.com. Wow, some of those pieces may be in the cooling system. Good luck man!

Desktop Dave over at M42club is a great resource:

"Sure. I just pull off the heater hoses, radiator hoses, and the block & rad drain plugs. I then use a garden hose to flush the old coolant out of the block drain, the heater core and the radiator. I then re-connect the hoses and flush the heater core & radiator with a bit of the new coolant mix. Finally, I replace the drains and fill as much of the system with coolant as possible, finally reconnecting the hoses to seal the system up again.

I'm sure it leaves a bit of tap water in the system, but I'm figuring spent coolant is worse for the system than a bit of chlorinated water. I'd guess you could alternatively do this with distilled water and a short length of hose too."
    Last edited by Gerta; 03-21-2016, 09:48 AM.
    Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

I don't know if it's a good thing to do, but when possible I'll use a pressure washer on the engine components and remove the radiator from the car for a more through flush. You'd be surprised at the gunk that comes out.

Comment

Hey thanks for the help! Got it all done and figured out. Back on the road now.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
        X