Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust manifold studs

Hey guys,

I have a question for those who mess around with m42's. Three exhaust manifold studs (from cyl nÂș1, the closest to the radiator) broke off on their own. This probably means my manifold warped, but this is not my concern.

It seems to me that the only way to extract the broken studs is to either pull off the head or the engine altogether because there seems to be no way to use an extractor in that tight space.

What do you guys recommend doing? I would like to avoid having to go the head off route, but perhaps i can lift the engine enough to be able to remove the studs.
    Originally posted by kendogg
    Don't know, but the E90 wasn't designed from the ground-up intending to be a racecar like the E30 was.
    OG RACECAR

If you were to uncouple the transmission from the driveshaft you may be able to get the required angle to extract the studs. Otherwise using an engine hoist migt be the only option outside of head removal.

It may also be worthwhile to have a shop take a look at it as they may have tight access tools, like 90 degree drills, odd extractors, etc, to do the job.

Comment

Things never go right with broken studs. I'd pull the head and give it a refresh while in there.

Comment

I'd try removing them and worse case scenario, you have to pull the head anyway.

Comment

With the header off and the passenger's side engine mount undone, you can jack the engine up and tilt it a bit and you might have enough room to get some vice grips on the studs and twist them out. Chances are you will break more taking the header off, and you should replace them all if you can. If they're broken off flush with the head, I wouldn't bother with an extractor in that tight, awkward space, it will probably break off.

If you're feeling really dead set on getting them out without removing the head and have a few days to wait around, you can give the chemical removal method a try and let us know how it works out. Just follow the directions my strange Canadian friend AvE gives on youtube
          Last edited by varg; 03-28-2016, 01:45 PM.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 1-26

Comment

^ wow! Neat trick. And weird dude
            sigpic
            1991 318is x 2 .

Comment

Working...
            X