Lets clear a few things up! Driveshaft/CSB/Guibo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets clear a few things up! Driveshaft/CSB/Guibo

So, I dropped my driveshaft when I did my subframe/cradle work. I couldn't get it apart/didn't have time to split the shafts. Plus there was a 125$ reinforced driveshaft with serviceable joints on Louisville Craigslist. So my plan was to save the csb/guibo, but its gone.

Question 1. To split the driveshaft, I just remove 19mm bolt near the csb in the knuckle then its free??? Do I rotate it apart or just pull apart? Sorry I have to ask. haha. Better ask than ruin. Local shop said it would be 35 to 50 if I brought the whole thing in.. Made it sound like he had to un-friction weld them... With some separater?

Question 2. I understand that the CSB is to be pressed towards the engine but the actual bearing that is held by rubber inside the mounting metal, appears to be concave or convex? So which way does it get installed? Can it be backwards? I assume with the bearing should face the trans so when I push it becomes more level, as in level with the metal holding the bearing? Or is it reverse to create tension? Its a febi model.

Question 3. Can I remove the guibo/driveshaft vibration damper?

I'm hoping for solid answers tonight so I can do this tomorrow. Thanks guys! I have read the pelican article on e36 but it looks like a large bolt that circles around the shaft that looks like a pipe wrench would work on? I do not think its the same as ours?
    20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

1. There is a large nut you loosen a bit and the they slide apart. There is a splined shaft that connects them. See here:

2. The side with the lip goes towards the u-joint.

3. Yes, it can be removed. Many do it to clear a short shifter.

Comment

Hey thanks! I'm surprised I didn't notice that when I removed it! I sprayed part of it white and thought I read people used steering wheel pullers to separate it. I may do this tomorrow! If so I may do pics/a diy video to help out. I know this is a common question.

Side with the lip going towards the u-joint on the same shaft so relevant towards diff or tranny? I just want to make sure I have this 100%.
      20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

As in more like the first set where the lip is towards the combining shaft knuckles and not like the second set where it's m5x swapping, so reverse?
        20% Accurate

Comment

Working...
        X