Farkin Sunroof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farkin Sunroof

Yesterday, went to open electric sunroof, and heard a grinding/clattering noise. Sunroof opened a little, quit moving. I pulled access panel with idea of using allen to shut it, and a nice machine thread screw fell out. By holding motor steady, I was able to close roof.

Issue is that it is cockeyed. One side at the rear is higher than the other. I plan on removing headliner at motor area, reattaching motor. Will sunroof close normally? Or is it now out of adjustment with the cables?

I cannot pull up REALOEM on this Gov't computer, so no idea how it goes together at this point.

NUNYA Muthas have had cable problems?
    Last edited by Kip; 05-03-2006, 06:16 AM.
    88 325is FOR SALE
    89 325i FOR SALE
    95 LR Disco
    98 Volvo V70XC -FS!
    25' of oil-stained driveway
    Travel Kit:
    M4, FS 92, Mk19, 998

help!!!

microswitch adjustment?

Cable adjustment?
    88 325is FOR SALE
    89 325i FOR SALE
    95 LR Disco
    98 Volvo V70XC -FS!
    Travel Kit:
    M4, FS 92, Mk19, 998

Comment

Fixed that mutha.

Well,

If your sunroof motor gets removed or falls off or needs to be replaced, you have problems. This is how to get the motor and microswitch synchronized with the sunroof cables.

Here we go:

Given that sun visors, clips, headliner, and little indicator panel thingy are removed...

Install motor
      Operate switch until sunroof is in the fully closed position. If you are out of sync, this will require a few tries, and looking at sunroof from top of car to be sure.
      Remove sunroof motor. Leave out and observe gear.
      Press reverse button, watch motor. Should have sixteen revolutions. if no, press switch again, and check again.
      Once you have 16 revs with reverse button, (fully open condition) press forward swithch. This should get you 16 revs in opposite direction. (fully closed).
      Press forward button once, and observe 1 rev. (open in vent position)
      Press reverse button once, and observe 1 rev. (now in fully closed position)
      Install motor. Test.

(now is good time to locate 12VDC switched hot wire to sunroof switch. Great for radar detector, extra dome light, etc)

Install new headliner piece to replace the one you tore out, in chunks, to get at motor.

Now, source some rubber bump stops for the side brackets on sunroof wind deflector. Really small. These get old, and allow deflector to raise up high enough to stop roof from closing. Hence the old push up on roof, while closing switch move.

DISCLAIMER: If you do this and break something, let me know, I need a good laugh.
      88 325is FOR SALE
      89 325i FOR SALE
      95 LR Disco
      98 Volvo V70XC -FS!
      Travel Kit:
      M4, FS 92, Mk19, 998

Comment

so the whole top piece needs to be taken out? damn.
        my sunroof motor chatters but if i help the sunroof move then it won't chatter or sound like its grinding.

Comment

Chatter? Hmm...
          The only thing that needs to be removed is the black panel that has visors, check panel, and switch attached. Takes about 10 minutes.

Sounds like your motor may be loose. Pull the little access panel, and watch motor housing. Does it move when operating sunroof? If so, it is loose.
          88 325is FOR SALE
          89 325i FOR SALE
          95 LR Disco
          98 Volvo V70XC -FS!
          Travel Kit:
          M4, FS 92, Mk19, 998

Comment

Bringing back a long dead thread.

My sunroof requires about 3 tries to close...gay as hell.

Anyone have anything to add? Can I just operate the motor until it stops, then make the sunroof close (or start with it closed) without counting to 16?

I don't wanna take my shoes off.

Thanks!
            Luke

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

The little aluminum arms on the wind deflector may be bent too much etc. and causing excessive tightness on the sunroof, you may need to even them out a little to get it to shut properly. They're very easy to bend, but the plastic tabs that hold them in are also very easy to snap.

Kip never got around the fixing that sunroof properly ;)

Comment

You don't have to take the the black panel off at all. Just undo the three srcrews that keeps the motor in place, and squeze the motor thru the access panel and then follow His instructions by counting the motor revs. as He explains. Thats how I did it. Just be careful the roof panel is very fragil, it brakes easily take Your time.

Comment

Working...
                X