m62b44tu questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m62b44tu questions

Im considering putting a m62tu i have researched a tremendous amount but could not find the answer. for the m62tu would i have to do a fly-by-wire conversion to it? and that consist of the potentiometer and electronic throttle and the misc wires that go towards the M.E 7.2 or can i just convert it to the cable throttle on the m60 and not expect any obd 2 problems? also do i somehow have to add the brake and clutch status switches and wire to the DME.

another question is about the DSC III that goes into the M.E 7.2 for the speed input, would i have to somehow install one into the e30 and have sensors on all 4 wheels for it to function properly or can i just input the engine speed directly from the ecu like other obd 1 swaps. but according to what i read it seems like theres 2 wires coming from the the dsc III to the M.E 7.2

just need to know these to know what parts to look out for

No, you put the non TU manifold with mechanical tb and either transfer the obd1 timing/chain/rail/covers or rig something up. It's not just the TB, because the TU does not have a trigger wheel, and has TWO cam sensors...vs 1 cam and 1 crank as on the m60.
    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

so to go vanos i still have to transfer obd1 stuff? i thought the obd1 dme's didnt have the vanos on it so i figured i have to use the obd2 me7.2 instead of the 404 ecu to get the vanos control right?
      just wondering because the potentiometer actually wires directly into the dme and wondered if i needed to do that

Comment

Oh, you want to keep VANOS on top? Good luck man :)
        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

yea haha so it looks like i might have to get a potentiometer and attach it to my accelerator and work the speed sensor issue somehow hopefully i wont have to get sensors on all 4 wheels and a dsc module....

Comment

Yeah, the big problem with anything new into the E30 chassis is the non-CAN bus data system of the older chassis, which is what almost everything from 2000 and up uses. It can and has been done, but it is not the easiest route to take, which is why most everyone goes OBDI. I don't know much about standalone systems, but that could be an option... dunno. Guys have done it, so it's not impossible, but it may give you more headaches than it's worth. That's your call...

Garey

Comment

yea im already having a headache trying to plan ahead and the can bus from the dsc III is already giving me a headache considering my car doesn't have abs to start with. so id have to get more than just the dsc module and speed sensors on all 4 wheels, i guess the only thing that i should do with the m62tu is keep the bottom end and end up going obd i

Comment

hmm or is it possible to ignore the dsc can bus wires and proceed with swap, or do you think that will pull up a code on the me7.2

Comment

Or just go with standalone computer that handles vanos? :) thats the route im going for my swap. No OBD I-II EWS etc etc to worry about.

E30 3xxi - BRILLANT ROT

Comment

i would love to go that route but i live in the lovely state of CA and plan to get it bar'd so not an option for me, i guess ill live with m60b44 at least im keeping the bottom end

Comment

Originally posted by robiniscool View Post
                      i would love to go that route but i live in the lovely state of CA and plan to get it bar'd so not an option for me, i guess ill live with m60b44 at least im keeping the bottom end
                      In all honesty, the Frankenstein M60B44 is the best of both V8s. Plus it's OBDI, so it plays well with the E30 electrics. Sounds like the wiser choice, given your location and the fact you want to get it BAR'ed. Just my opinion, of course...

Garey

Comment

yea i given up on the vanos swap and decided to use the 4.4 bottom end and do what you did i just didnt want to admit to it.... :giggle:
                        rather just spend the extra money on a extra m60 and steal all the obd I equip and heads rather than coughing up for the pedal and the insanity of getting it to work for bar

i have a question with the 4.4 bottom will the stock 404 ecu be able to run the engine smoothly enough for smog stuff or will i have to get additional tuning software

Comment

Originally posted by robiniscool View Post
                          yea i given up on the vanos swap and decided to use the 4.4 bottom end and do what you did i just didnt want to admit to it.... :giggle:
                          rather just spend the extra money on a extra m60 and steal all the obd I equip and heads rather than coughing up for the pedal and the insanity of getting it to work for bar

i have a question with the 4.4 bottom will the stock 404 ecu be able to run the engine smoothly enough for smog stuff or will i have to get additional tuning software
                          If a regular E34/E38 with an M60B40 will pass BAR, then there's no reason why the Frankenstein motor wouldn't. It's really not so different that it would affect the "tune" of the stock ECU. And a chip may make it even a little better, emissions-wise...

Garey

Comment

Electric accelerator is actually pretty simple, there's one used in 324td so you've basically all the required parts available OEM for E30 ;)

Regarding "Frankenstein M60B44" - has anyone actually tried one yet or are we still speculating? :)

... and what comes to emissions, I'm pretty sure a single tuner will not end up in a better compromise power-emission wise than BMW factory in the '90s...
                            - E34 M5 (x 2) -
                            - E30 V8 Cabrio "Kylpyamme" -
                            - Alpina D10 Touring #33/94 -

+
                            - E46 318i Touring -
                            - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

im eagerly waiting for garey to post of videos of frankstein

but i cry when i hear oem

Comment

Working...
                              X