Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the difference between US grills and Euro grills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the difference between US grills and Euro grills?

US Spec Headlight Grills:

Euro-Spec Headlight Grills:

Notice how the top part of the grills on the Euro-spec units continue all the way across the top of the headlights, creating kind of an "eyebrow".

The Euro-spec grills are blocked off more in different areas in order to direct more airflow into the radiator. They also have a provision for the european headlight-wiper system (The small hole in-between the headlight lenses on the bottom). If you have the European Ellipsoid headlights they have a handy little opening for changing the citylight bulb.

Sorry to bump this up...but what the hell is the differences between euro grills and Evo euro grills? I saw a set of "EVO" euro grill with euro kidney sell for about over $100 on fleabay.An e30 m3 owner won the bid. I just got a set of "evo" grills from the uk for $60 shipped.My buddy said the guy at the junker told him they were "evo" grills.

So whats the deal? They look the same to me.
    Maybe I should snap a pic.
    -Frank
    1987 325is m50nv (schwarz)
    1990 325is (sterling silber)(sold)
    2001 525i

Comment

It has to do with the cutouts for air direction through the grilles.
      Originally posted by Gruelius
      and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

also, the us spec lights are normally the sealed beam type, so the entire light units are replaced from the front if they blow, the euro lights have bulb/reflector system (both pre and post face lift) so the light units do not need to be taken out from the front (as the bulb is changed from the rear of the light). it avoids the us spec cars requireing the grill to be removed to change the bulb.

Comment

Originally posted by mrLEE30
          also, the us spec lights are normally the sealed beam type, so the entire light units are replaced from the front if they blow, the euro lights have bulb/reflector system (both pre and post face lift) so the light units do not need to be taken out from the front (as the bulb is changed from the rear of the light). it avoids the us spec cars requireing the grill to be removed to change the bulb.
          Yeah, I remember that being a PITA. Almost had to re-aim them every other time too if you weren't too careful. Ellips and euro grills are the way to go IMHO.
          sigpic

Comment

Can someone tell me if these are the correct part numbers for the euro grills?

51131876092 - Right

51131876091 - Left

Comment

Originally posted by mrLEE30

good thing the US and Euro spec lights have nothing to do with the grills.
              Originally posted by Gruelius
              and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

is there a difference in the kidneys as well?? what does the euro kidney look like and what does the us one look like??

i have two different ones

one has a black plastic strip behind the columns at the top and one does not...which one is which??
                e30s r kool

Comment

the one that does not is euro

Comment

the one that does not have a black piece is euro?? i thought it was the other way around
                    e30s r kool

Comment

Originally posted by vivalegreg
                      the one that does not have a black piece is euro?? i thought it was the other way around
                      It depends. Some kidneys are partially blocked off, and others aren't. When I was in Germany, I even saw one e30 with kidneys that were COMPLETELY blocked off...

-Erik

Comment

is there any advantage to having one partially blocked off as opposed to not blocked off at all??
                        e30s r kool

Comment

Originally posted by vivalegreg
                          is there any advantage to having one partially blocked off as opposed to not blocked off at all??
                          I doubt having the top inch and a half blocked off is going to effect much.

Some say that it is blocked off to allow for more air to the radiator. It might accually provide less air though. It's hard to tell.
                          I'd just use which ever one is in better condition.

-Erik

Comment

Originally posted by erik325i
                            I doubt having the top inch and a half blocked off is going to effect much.

Some say that it is blocked off to allow for more air to the radiator. It might accually provide less air though. It's hard to tell.
                            I'd just use which ever one is in better condition.

-Erik
                            I think a lot of it was BMW seeking to lower cd as much as possible without redesigning the car. I know they were roundly criticized because the Audis of the day had amazingly low cd numbers. It also would've made incremental improvements to the car's top end.

Comment

what do you mean by cd???
                              e30s r kool

Comment

Working...
                              X