DIY - Motor Mount Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kencopperwheat
    I used a chunk of a 2x12 on the pan and just jacked it up. When you cover the whole pan, it distriubutes the weight evenly enough that it's safe to jack up. I think this is the easiest method.
    Yeah - I used a piece of wood with my jack to hold the engine in place when I dropped the subframe when doing front end work.
    Current Cars
    2014 M235i
    2009 R56 Cooper S
    1998 M3
    1997 M3

Comment

Oh great...just the same night as I do mine, someone makes a terrific post of it.

Nice write-up!

Luke

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

There should be a disclaimer - he did it with the exhaust off the car - it gets in the way a TON on the pass. side. No way you'll get the impact wrench in like he shows that easily.

YMMV
        Current Cars
        2014 M235i
        2009 R56 Cooper S
        1998 M3
        1997 M3

Comment

Originally posted by DaveCN
          There should be a disclaimer - he did it with the exhaust off the car - it gets in the way a TON on the pass. side. No way you'll get the impact wrench in like he shows that easily.

YMMV
          Swivel head ratchet wrenches FTW.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

YMMV

True.. but damn it's been almost a year since I made this post.

If your transmission is hooked up you should be able to get by with just jacking the car up by the oil pan. I did mine in the middle of a 5 speed swap thus the balancing act.

As for the exhaust getting in the way.. like Axxe said.. Swivel ratching open end wrenches are golden when doing your own car repair.

Comment

Just by the oil pan or did you construct a Rube Goldberg looking thing like Ritalin Kid here?
              It was a while ago but I think I used a piece of wood and jacked up one side at a time.

Comment

i had chuck norris hold up my motor with his pinky toe while i changed out the mounts...worked like a charm.
                IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Dang, you did that shit exactly like I did. Right down to the wood on the oil pan. The pass. side mount was too tall to fit with the engine sagging all the way down.

BTW. I did everything under the car. The exaust didn't get too much in the way.

BTW2, if you're jacking up the engine by the oil pan, with your tranny and exaust in place, be careful. If you jack it tooooo high, you're gonna pinch one of the coolant lines near the back of the tranny. I had bent one open. I think it was the line for the cabin heater radiator thingy. That, wasn't exactly easy to replace.
                  My drinking team, has a racing problem.

Anyone have an aquarium? If you want fish, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by golde30
                    i had chuck norris hold up my motor with his pinky toe while i changed out the mounts...worked like a charm.
                    I had Jack Bauer threaten the engine up. The engine just went straight for the sky.
                    My drinking team, has a racing problem.

Anyone have an aquarium? If you want fish, let me know.

Comment

crap all the pics are gone.
                      1989 US E30 Cammed S52
                      Under Construction: 1983 Euro E28 Cammed LQ9/LS3 Heads/Jakeb E28 LSx Kit

Comment

Sorry guys.. the pictures maybe lost forever. The old hosting service I used went under and my back ups were deleted so I cannot restore them.

If I happen to have them on my Landisk back up I'll try to get them back up.

Comment

I used a engine hoist... makes changing the pan a breeze too..
                          :: PNW Crew ::
                          '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Someone, PLEASE take pics and add them to this...PLEASE!

Comment

Originally posted by backtrail69 View Post
                              I used a engine hoist... makes changing the pan a breeze too..
                              Or a come-along from the ceiling joists.
                              1991 318is Diamant Schwarz

Comment

Originally posted by Fanzotti View Post
                                Someone, PLEASE take pics and add them to this...PLEASE!
                                Sorry, pics are gone forever. I may take more then next time I replace a set.

Comment

Working...
                                X