Gas Filler Door Smoothing - DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Filler Door Smoothing - DIY

So, instead of being the typical obnoxious idiot who takes instead of giving to this community, as inspired by the BimmerToad thread, I have taken on this project, of "smoothing" the gas door and removing the finger nub:

Sure, there are many ways to do this, and I did it this way. I am no means a professional.

Gas Door - autobahnparts.com - $10

Using a body hammer and an vice, we pound down the outdent (opposide of indent) :) As we can see, we are left with a little bit of the door that sticks out on the left hand side, where the finger door metal expanded.

Using a 36grit sanding disk on an angle grinder, we remove that outer nub, and clean up the paint a little bit.

Using the 36grit disk, we contiune to remove the rest of the paint, and wipe down the metal with a good wax and grease remover. Beer is essential.

Using a GOOD filler, we put a light skim coat across the gas door panel.

Let filler dry, and look at pictures of Bianca.

More soon.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-23-2007, 08:55 PM.

The filler has dried, and we hit it quickly with a DA sander

Using our trusty Dura-Block, we block the filler door until decently straight.

This is our gas door before it recieves primer.

Once again, we must wait until the day is better for primer -- at least we can look at pictures of Angela (RIP). Update when possible.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-23-2007, 08:56 PM.

Comment

I decided to test a new primer for this job, Endura EP-2C.

Had a little troubling spraying it, getting used to the consistency.

This was the first coat, 2nd coat turned out horrible. I will wait to see how it dries to see if it will require a 2nd coat, or high build.

As we wait (8-12 hours), here is another picture, at least automotive related.

Last edited by Guest; 01-25-2007, 06:51 PM.

Comment

We dry sanded the first coat of the epoxy primer. Went a little through the metal, so we will re-coat tommorow. If that coat lays down smooth, paint will go on, if not, high build goes on.

So, keeping in tradition...we must wait.

Comment

This is how our door dried after another spray of the epoxy. This stuff is tuff! I waited too long to spray the high build (which I decided to do), so it has some slight stuff marks with 240 grit. Sweet green. IF you see all the little fish eyes, I am not sure what caused this...something wasn't right. I cleaned all my lines, and primer gun, and did not reappear as you see lower.

This is the Endura high-build primer I switched over to, the solids content is unreal, and should be MUCH tougher than standard style automotive high build (this is industrial use type stuff - $$).

This is the first spray of the high build which has a 20 minute flash. 2 or 3 sprays will be required.

So while we wait,

Anybody know this city? Chicago?

Comment

I keep getting asked how I am going to open this door. So with the 2nd coat of high build, I present to you my thumb nail (for guitar you creeps, not crack)

On a Bianca kick today. I like this pic, just kinda candid.
            Last edited by Guest; 01-23-2007, 08:59 PM.

Comment

We spray the original primer as a sealer, before top coat. Very light spray.

While the sealer drys, we pull out the MiniJet and load up the paint.

First tack coat front and back.

2nd coat

Last coat. Henna is an odd color to photograph, it looks dull, but believe me...this thing is smooth and shiny as heeeeeeeeelllll. A little bit of dirt and grit got into it, but that will sand out with 2500 and a slight polish.

Last girly pic before its on the car. We must let the door dry.

TTT
              Last edited by Guest; 01-23-2007, 09:00 PM.

Comment

And done. Took I think about 10-12 hours total.

Would I do it again? Probably not (well, at least not until I have 15 other open projects finished first)

Comment

Comment

MMMhmmm....

Wish the girls were gone, I'm not gay or anything, but not all of us appreciate that style of female presentation.

Moving right along, looks different. Why did you pursue that project? Does it make the car look cleaner or more uniform? Elaborate for me.
                    :mrgreen:

Like game music? >clicky<

Comment

They say waiting is the hardest part. In this case however, waiting is the best part;)

Thanks for the write up, Trent. Looks like a cool mod that only true BMW lovers will noice.
                      Originally posted by cabriodster87
                      "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
                      Originally posted by Kershaw
                      i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

You know what I would do now?

When you have a friend with you, ask him to open your fuel door, and act like you're pre-occupied.

LOL They'd get so confused!
                        - Sean Hayes

Comment

make sure you lock the doors first, then they will start looking for a release lever...
                          m106 1990 e30
                          e36 daily
                          e32 cruiser

Comment

Ok, pics posted on new server. All there.

Comment

Just a side note on the materials. That paint is the worst paint health wise to use. You should be using a respirator if your not already. But i do agree with you, that paint is tough as nails.

other then that nice looking, i've contemplated doing this as well, but realized that i have a ton of other projects to do first... and i don't have the um... whicked thumb nail....;)

Comment

Working...
                              X