what does this mean? m20 piston pic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what does this mean? m20 piston pic.

I'm doing a head gasket. this is a pic of what the piston looks like now that the head is off. I've never gone this far into a bmw motor, but I doubt that's how the pistons are supposed to look. the car ran fine. what's going on?

pic is cut down, all the pistons look the same.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by la-zdunck; 11-21-2013, 08:28 PM.

the cut outs are there so the piston doesnt smack into the valve, im no expert but it looks fine to me
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
    Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

A bit of carbon build up, but everything else seems fine.
      91 m3

Comment

great. I didn't know

thanks

Comment

You've never heard of, or seen valve reliefs.. but you are doing that much wrenching your own motor?

Stay tuned for the chilling conclusion.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
          https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Just follow the manual....you are using a manual aren't you? You'll be fine. Just take you're time and don't skip parts.
            Get a plastic scraper and scrape any loose build up off thepistons while you can get at them...and DO NOT use a steel scraper.
            Make sure the block is shining before you put the head gasket on.
            One more thing. Use lacquer thinner as the last cleaner or a really good solvent. And then make sure you wipe the Lacquer thinner residue off with a clean rag. Yes it leaves a white residue and if you don't remove it you might not get a good seal. Good luck.
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
              You've never heard of, or seen valve reliefs.. but you are doing that much wrenching your own motor?

Stay tuned for the chilling conclusion.
              :rofl:

Oh... come on Jordan... have a little faith. I'm taking my first BMW motor apart this winter and its a freaking S38... there's a first time for everything.

Your comment was still pretty funny though...

Comment

Is it just me, or does the #2 piston have a bunch of little nicks on the surface of it? Like maybe an electrode off of a plug broke off and was bouncing around inside the engine.

Comment

Can't tell but it might be a weird reflection.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver
                    Is it just me, or does the #2 piston have a bunch of little nicks on the surface of it? Like maybe an electrode off of a plug broke off and was bouncing around inside the engine.
                    Could also be Detonation damage, to hard to tell from the picture.
                    85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

you know what's funny.....

a. I don't give a f**k
                      b. not even my car (some kid in my neighborhood) an e34
                      c. I made 600 on it, and I didn't even "know what I was doing"
                      d. the car has been running fine all week.

a thank you to those of you who make constructive responces when someone asks a question.

Comment

Working...
                      X