Totall wild compression?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Totall wild compression?

As y'all who read my intro know, I have a somewhat modified engine (304 cam, forged high-comp pistons, springs, etc). What is the correct way to measure compression? Is it after 4 cycles or 6? Cuz after 6 cycles each of my cylinders is giving a reading of about 210(!!!) PSI + or - 2 PSI. How come my engine hasn't blown up yet? LOL

Comments, corrections (flames?) anyone?

Cheers
    This is your M20 on steroids:

-That is very, very high. I have about 170-175 on a bone-stock super-eta.
    -I beleive you should measure peak pressure, so 5 or 6 cycles sounds right.
    1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Longer duration and higher lift cams effect compression readings, so comparing them to stock specifications is pointless. As long as your timing is correct, and the compression is close across the board, I wouldn't worry about it.
      Last edited by Brew; 02-01-2006, 09:47 AM.
      '91 318is
      sigpic

Comment

I'm all 210PSI +-5PSI as well.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
        https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Same here 210 psi, 10.5.to 1 comp pistons 2.7L

Comment

Kamal, what I was taught as a wee lad was to crank the engine over about 20 seconds with the throttle fully opened to check compression.

Considering the overlap of your cam, 210 does not suprise me a bit, nor does the rough idle.

Liquid-filled motor mounts would last about 3 minuites under that engine, BTW.

Luke

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Alright so everything is more or less normal then :)

I'll promptly forget about liquid filled mounts now.... thx for the heads-up.

God knows a 16-year-old car has enough problems of its own, no need to add more by replacing simple parts with more complex ones that can break more easily right ;)
              This is your M20 on steroids:

Comment

Working...
              X