Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

has anyone tried to lighten stock ETA rods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

has anyone tried to lighten stock ETA rods?

i was thinking about trying to lighten stock ETA rods for my 2.7 stroker, has anyone on here done that?
    i was thinking about polishing and lightening the beams then doing the same to the big and little ends then having them shot peened/stress relieved.
    if you have done it, how light were you able to safely get it?
    where and how much material did you remove?
    seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Are you trying to do it yourself? Or like take it to a shop?

Any good shop should be able to answer all of those questions.
    Rollin' with a Geistkuchen

Comment

i have done it to every motor i have built. but i have never built a BMW motor before so i am not sure where there is any extrainious weight i can remove other than the obvious stuff that is there in every rod like flashing and surface texturing that i would polish then have shot peened and stress relieved.

i posted this on tech too and have a lead on someone on the forum that does it for a reasonable price along with a rebuild/rebush/resize/balance end to end. since my rebuilder/machinist moved his shop to BFE, i can get him to do the rods (e30 tech guy) then take everything to a local machine shop for the balance job after i balance and weight match the pistons/wrist pins/rods to each other.

i would still like to see if anyone has tried it and the results.
      i know that the polishing will help with oil shedding and reduce the weight a little as well as help with oil vapor and windage. if i was really concerned about it or strength (it will be S/C'ed), i would go with eagles, but i am only going to be running a max of 15lbs boost and not going over the stock redline.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

I guess I don't know, I thought you were saying that you were going to go at them with a dremel tool and expect it to work out ok lol.
        Rollin' with a Geistkuchen

Comment

I guess anything really does go in OT. Since when does E30 engine work count as off topic?
          R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

i know, i was tired and it was late when i posted the 2 posts.

mods can move them if they want

Comment

Working...
            X