Any R53 experts here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any R53 experts here?

Basically my junk DD is going to need to be replaced soon and the E30 is ending up way too focused to want to daily everyday. I had considered finding a nice E30 to make a clean DD out of, but I'd really like something different.

It seems as though early model Cooper S's are coming down into a reasonable price for decent mileage, good condition cars. Not to mention good gas mileage, but still fun to drive, for my ~48 mile round trip commute.

What are the common problems? Are parts outrageous? Are they durable/reliable? etc etc, what do you know about them?
    Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
    Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
    One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

What is your DD, anyway?

An S5x E30 really puts the focus on the shortcomings of a DD. Like, I am so unmotivated to work on my E36 now. Hahaha.

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

My buddy has a heavily modded '03 S. Very fun car to drive, but there are a few factors which make it a love/hate relationship.

The god damned moonroof (drains, motors, etc.) and interior build quality is pretty terrible (like on par with early E36s). His radio is still messed up from the time the drains clogged and flooded part of his interior.
      Originally posted by BillBrasky
      E36's are the Stephen Baldwin of the 3 series family. They barely hold everything together and they only sold a lot because of the popularity of their older sibling.
      1991 318i Alpine II - S50/5-lug swapped - track car
      1989 325i Cirrusblau - Daily
      1970 2500 - Malaga over Grey Cloth
      2012 F350 6.7PSD

Comment

stay away from the CVT minis, they are crap (around 60k the gearbox chain goes out ±6k$)..
        I imagine the supercharger will also eventually need a rebuild.

ever thought about a diesel vw? They modify easily/cheaply, there is a ton of aftermarket, and they are a a lot more roomy.

I'm slowly starting to hate the *cheeky* look of the minis.. kinda like the vw new beetles, cool when they came out, terrible now.

and the real deal maker for me is that I had no mini dealer in my town.. all dealer specific parts involved a 2 hour drive :-(
        Build Threads:
        Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

^VW? Nope, never really considered one. The aspect of a fuel efficient, torquey motor is nice, but there are just so many VW horror stories......

Originally posted by FredK View Post
          What is your DD, anyway?

An S5x E30 really puts the focus on the shortcomings of a DD. Like, I am so unmotivated to work on my E36 now. Hahaha.
          '98 Z34 Monte Carlo, not a bad car. The 3.8 is a nice torquey motor to have around town, however, the car just turned over 170k and is going to need more and more work to keep it roadworthy. No A/C, etc. It's just not worth putting any money into other than oil changes and fuel, although I will probably have to do front pads/rotors soon or before I would try to get rid of it.

I'm thinking along the lines of an '04-05 Cooper S or 98-99 M3 as a replacement DD early next year, so I'll still have something fun to drive when not in the E30. Although part of me still wants something with a V8 and not a BMW.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
            Although part of me still wants something with a V8 and not a BMW.
            '04 Audi S4? Terrible MPG and slightly piggish, but have amazingly comfortable seats and own in the snow. Probably a little out of your price range though.
            E36's are the Stephen Baldwin of the 3 series family. They barely hold everything together and they only sold a lot because of the popularity of their older sibling.
            2012 F350 6.7PSD

Comment

^VW? Nope, never really considered one. The aspect of a fuel efficient, torquey motor is nice, but there are just so many VW horror stories......

'98 Z34 Monte Carlo, not a bad car. The 3.8 is a nice torquey motor to have around town, however, the car just turned over 170k and is going to need more and more work to keep it roadworthy. No A/C, etc. It's just not worth putting any money into other than oil changes and fuel, although I will probably have to do front pads/rotors soon or before I would try to get rid of it.

I'm thinking along the lines of an '04-05 Cooper S or 98-99 M3 as a replacement DD early next year, so I'll still have something fun to drive when not in the E30. Although part of me still wants something with a V8 and not a BMW.
              Don't overlook the 540i 6 speed. But I still hear ya. Maybe a V8 with one cam?

Comment

Stay focused gentleman, if i'm worried about parts/service on a VW why the fuck would I want to buy an Audi?

The E36 M3, durable parts availability, shouldn't be too expensive to use on a daily basis.

I want to know if the R53 is the same, not a bunch of suggestions about other cars that will be a pain in the ass to own, the E30 will fill that void nicely.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

318ti... best DD ever.
                  Originally posted by blunt
                  i would jerk larry king off while tonging jflips ass if h0lmes would blow his head off

Comment

My parents have a cooper S and its a great little car. The only trouble they've had with it is the rear wiper motor seal crapping out and leaking oil onto the rear gate. This was an easy fix and covered under the warranty.

Otherwise they've put almost 40k miles on it in just under 4 years. The ride is a little on the harsh side for long trips, you'll find that the suspension gets a little unsettled over larger bumps. The run flat tires add to this issue, but that's an ongoing debate for all BMW/Mini's.

If I didn't need any real trunk space I would get the cooper S in a second, thing is like a gokart and gets 28-34mpg!

Comment

Stay focused gentleman, if i'm worried about parts/service on a VW why the fuck would I want to buy an Audi?

The E36 M3, durable parts availability, shouldn't be too expensive to use on a daily basis.

I want to know if the R53 is the same, not a bunch of suggestions about other cars that will be a pain in the ass to own, the E30 will fill that void nicely.
                      Jesus, who put sand in your tampon?

I think an E36 M3 would be a far better choice than an R53, or as jflip suggested a 318ti. A clean 328i would be a nice choice too. What about an E46?
                      2012 F350 6.7PSD

Comment

V8 and not a BMW.
                        2007 Chevy Monte Carlo SS?

Originally posted by whysimon
                        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

They are pieces of shit.

Comment

FredK, no thanks. The only reason I have this car now is because my mom gave it to me when I was in college to replace the junk car I had been driving after selling my Z31.

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of an S197 *gasp*

Originally posted by BenM View Post
                            Jesus, who put sand in your tampon?

I think an E36 M3 would be a far better choice than an R53, or as jflip suggested a 318ti. A clean 328i would be a nice choice too. What about an E46?
                            No sand, just saying think about it. An unreliable car, with expensive parts/service, and buying a car for it's snow capabilities in OK isn't exactly great justification. We have maybe 5-7 days of snow per year here.

I want a DD that isn't going to be PITA.

dirty30, thank you for your succint response to the thread, however, would care to expound upon your profound knowledge of said vehicle?

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

No sand, just saying think about it. An unreliable car, with expensive parts/service, and buying a car for it's snow capabilities in OK isn't exactly great justification. We have maybe 5-7 days of snow per year here.
                              I was just joking dude, but I hear what you're saying. My dad bought one new back in 2004 (S4 Avant w/ 6-speed, one of the first in the country) and he loved it and was extremely reliable to boot. No CEL, no premature suspension wear, engine issues, etc. The only issue he had was 3 weeks into owning it, the shift linkage got was messed up, apparently a common problem. Other than that, it was very reliable.

The timing chain is at the rear of the motor, making it a real bitch to do. However, if anything goes wrong with the electronics, its a DIY job with the VCDS system (www.ross-tech.com).

I didn't realize OK doesn't get much snow every year, but they make great DD (despite poor MPG).
                              2012 F350 6.7PSD

Comment

Working...
                              X