Any R53 experts here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bavarian3 View Post
    Are you racing from red light to red light?

I thought the only number you cared about was MPG?

Is reading comprehension really as difficult as some of you make it seem? I said I want a nice, fun to drive DD. Nowhere did I say all I cared about was mileage, but I want at least better than my current DD.

Driving a slow ass car would not be enjoyable for me.

The Cooper S seems to fit the bill perfectly for what I want which is why I asked for thoughts/experiences with them.
    Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
    Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
    One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Just build up another S50E30, but with H&R Sport, a full interior, and quiet exhaust.

Originally posted by whysimon
      WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

i had an 05 mini s with jcw engine goodies. the car moved pretty good, stereo was good, quiet ride, not the smoothest but sporty. it'll do good on gas as long as you keep your foot out of its ass... i loved that car for my dd. no warranty issues, other than having the clutch replaced at 30k.

the only thing i disliked about that car was how fast you go through front tires. you really have to coast around corners or else you'll smoke the front tires.
        91 m3

Comment

wow, I work at a Mini/ BMW dealer and I havent really seen many of the problems you guys see in the states!

yeah, Tstat housings, a few transmissions, loud timing chains-- requires all new rails and crap, fans for the electric steering.

I personally don't dig the minis very much-- its not even close to the build quality of BMWs--- but I wouldnt call them crap. but my daughter loves em and I would buy one for the family if another "small" car was needed.

Comment

most of the problems are really blown out of proportion

talk to a tech at a local dealer; the ones by me at princeton mini are pretty chill and knowledgeable guys. they gave me some things to look out for when making a purchase

Comment

^Care to share those little tidbits?

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

the biggest problem I have seen on the ones that come in to us is======= RUST on the exhaust
                its an easy fix though-- buy the JCW stainless exhaust-- its only 20 bucks more than the stocker.

.-- and popping in the front end when turning---steering column or a few have been the strut tower bushings.

Comment

window motors get stuck sometimes
                  the official fix is to slam your fist between the 2 speakers in the door
                  works every time lol

the strut mounts have been known to mushroom
                  door sills have been known to rust on some early models, under the rubber weatherstripping
                  and like mikeedler said the exhaust gets rusty fast too. but you live in OK so I cant see that being much of a problem, youre not in the rust belt like me.

go join that forum, lots of info in there!! more than you can ever get out of me

Comment

maybe I'm crazy, but just daily drive the E30. what's so bad about an S50 E30 for a daily anyway? I don't get doing a bunch of work to make a car nice, and then parking it in your driveway, never to be driven.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

my vote's for an e39 540/6. tough to beat as a DD. only drawback is fuel consumption but i'm not too worried about that anyways.

edit: look in the latest bimmer for a buying guide.
                      '12 F30 328i Sport Line
                      '91 SpecE30 #523
                      '00 Ford F-350 Dually Tow Vehicle

BMWCCA #360858 NASA #

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                        maybe I'm crazy, but just daily drive the E30. what's so bad about an S50 E30 for a daily anyway? I don't get doing a bunch of work to make a car nice, and then parking it in your driveway, never to be driven.

Oh I'll drive it. But 40 series combined with stiff springs (our roads are bad enough that 350/500 got tiresome and now I'm going to 550/750) no sound deadening, no AC, etc, and then I don't drive it in ice or snow (admittedly doesn't happen often here) and rarely drove it in the rain.

I want a nice, stock car to drive in shitty weather or if I'm working on the E30 or maybe have a problem at a track day or something, something comfy-ish to take a road trip in, etc. I've basically had shitty cars since high school from being a broke college student or when I had my sportbike I didn't give a shit because I rode it basically rain or shine.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

waa waa waa. That's all I'm hearing. :razz:

Comment

That's what I'm hearing from everyone in this thread who can't read.

Initially, I didn't ask what car would you buy/suggest/cream your pants over.
                            What you would do with my E30 or anything.

I asked what people know about R53s. And out of the 40+ responses, there have been about 4 replies relevant to the question. And this wasn't even a hard one like what motor oil should I use or what are the best wheels.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Hilljack getting hot under the collar!

Comment

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Working...
                                X