No announcement yet.

GB on Spec Clutches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went ahead and e-mailed SPEC directly relating to my questions above, and the response came VERY quickly, and was as complete as possible.

My e-mail:

Hello,\
    \
    I\\'m interested in buying the Stage 1 clutch for my 1987 325 \(Super Eta -
    2.7L\) - and I a few questions regarding this.\
    \
    1. What are the exact contents of what I would buy if I just bought the
    stage 1 clutch kit and nothing else\?\
    \
    2. My clutch kit for the 1988 325 would be \$319, if I chose the correct
    one. Do you guys have this in stock\?\
    \
    3. Do you know how this compares to the OEM SACH\\'s Clutch kit that is
    usually put in BMW\\\'s from 1983-1991.\
    \
    \
    My major questions are 1 and 2, so if you guys have the answers to those, I
    would greatly appreciate it!\
    \
    Thanks for your time!\
    \
    -Sean Hayes

SPEC's response:

Sean,

The contents are the high clamp quick release pressure plate, st 1 disc,
    throwout bearing, pilot bearing and pilot tool. Yes, we have the kits in
    stock. That unit has the driving comfort of the factory Sachs unit, but
    will last longer, hold 30% more torque and offer a more positive daily
    engagement feel. Though drivability remains good, you will tell a
    difference in the amount of power making it to the ground.
    Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Thanks!

I thought I would share this for anyone else that may have wondered. I'm definately interested in a Stage 1 clutch, as it would DEFINATELY handle the Super Eta and even the Ita stroker I plan on doing not long from now.

Bryson, the reason I am looking for whatelse I need is because since I'm under there, I'll be replacing a great deal of little pieces, since everything will be out. Since the kit as very complete, hell, it even comes with a tool - and, it is much better than a Sach's OEM clutch, I definately think it's the way to go.

I look forward to taking part in this group buy. :D
    - Sean Hayes

Comment

Ask them what material is made the clutch disc, at least on the Stage 3 one, if its Bronze, or what.

Comment

Originally posted by skat 325is
        Ask them what material is made the clutch disc, at least on the Stage 3 one, if its Bronze, or what.
        K, I replied with that question, I'll post when I get a response. May not be till Monday though.
        - Sean Hayes

Comment

St1 is a high performance steel backed and woven organic. St2 is pure
          Kevlar. Stage 3 is carbon.
          There ya go. ;)

AND - WE NEED MROE PEOPLE! Come on, guys - I wanna get this clutch! :D
          - Sean Hayes

Comment

I'm definately interested in a Stage 3. I don't think the clutch I have in there now is going to last very long.

But, what is the difference between the stage 3 and 4 if they hold the same amount of power?

Comment

damn....i need a Bronze clutch, i dont think a carbon clutch is gonna last the same as a bronze one

Comment

Some people backed out - I'm not sure how many we need, but I'm trying to recruit people!

skat, I send them another e-mail asking for what the other stages were made of, maybe St4 is bronze?

If you guys know anyone that needs a clutch, refer them to this!
                - Sean Hayes

Comment

Stage 4 its a 2 piece rigid disc (doesnt have springs on the disc), available in 3 or 6 wings.

I think a stage 4 is a bit too extreme for daily use, lol. Especially with a solid disc :P
                  Would be fun tho, have the car jump while releasing the pedal.

Comment

Any idea how the stage 3 holds up when compared to the centerforce dual friction clutch?

Comment

i *may* be interested...

Comment

I was one of the people who backed out, I couldn't wait until the end of the month. I ended up buying an e30m3 clutch, it's worked great so far (about 2 days)

Comment

you guys, this is a great opportunity and great price. I wish I would have been able to wait and purchase a stage 3

Comment

Yeah, I'm still in. I'm not sure who else is though? The man in charge doesn't seem to be around right now?

I sent him a PM - but I'll send him an e-mail now. If ANY of you are, in fact, interested. Send the man that made this thread a PM or E-mail - make sure he knows others are interested. That's the ONLY way this will happen!

I need a clutch too, though! :D
                            - Sean Hayes

Comment

I already ordered one from TCD, Stage 3 $389 shipped.

Comment

If anyone wanted one, go here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=202759

Jon is hosting the GB now - go to that thread for details.

Clutch + Shipping then you get 15% off that. I'm pleased. ;)
                                - Sean Hayes

Comment

Working...
                                X