Correcting Steering 'Chatter'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correcting Steering 'Chatter'

So I just recently did an e36 rack swap on my 318is, along with brand new front control arms, M3 CAB's, brand new e36 inner and outer tie rods as well as new sway bar end links.

Everything that was replaced was very worn and needed a good refresh so I did it while the e36 rack was being swapped. I was hoping that this would remove the steering 'chatter' I was having but it seems to still be present.

This chatter doesn't feel like bump steer, but more like there is a lot of play in the steering somewhere. What could it be?

I am indeed getting bump steer still, even after double checking that I did install the spacers ABOVE the rack and not below. I do need an alignment, but this chatter feels a lot different than bump steer.

Thoughts?
    Steve • Toronto
    1991 318is • Brillantrot
    Build Thread

Check the column itself for play in either the u-joints or the rubber guibo. Confirm the tie rod ends are fully seated in the steering arms, the rack itself doesn't have internal play on the pinion, and the wheel bearings aren't loose. Also give the tie rods a yank to make sure they don't make a "thunk" noise when pulled back and forth.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
      Check the column itself for play in either the u-joints or the rubber guibo. Confirm the tie rod ends are fully seated in the steering arms, the rack itself doesn't have internal play on the pinion, and the wheel bearings aren't loose. Also give the tie rods a yank to make sure they don't make a "thunk" noise when pulled back and forth.
      Thanks for the suggestions. When I did the rack swap, I have the complete u-joints and guibo out to inspect it. Everything looks up to scratch and no damage or play anywhere.

I'll check the rod ends though. I did make sure they were seated when I installed them, but maybe they have loosened since putting the car back on the ground? I did torque them to spec too.

I did do a DIY alignment before my last drive, where I added a bit more toe out and it seems to help the chatter quite a bit...but its definitely still there depending on how big / harsh the bumps are on the road.
      Steve • Toronto
      1991 318is • Brillantrot
      Build Thread

Comment

Working...
      X