Cracked timing case cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracked timing case cover

Pulled my timing case cover off and noticed its cracked all over front and back. Should I replace it? The car was involved in a front end crash wiping out the oil pan just below the cover. Other then that i doubt I did it when removing it but who knows.

Yes you should replace it. It's not under pressure but it's still a potential leak point and could get worse in the future. It's a cheap enough part and a pain to get to once everything is assembled.

Comment

Most of those look like normal casting shrinkage marks to me, over the internet...

t
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

It looks pretty gnarly to me. Like it definitely took a hit from the p/o. I'll get a pic of the front. It's cracked right around the water pump which is my main concern.

Comment

Yeah I would agree that those are not structural cracks, just surfacing imperfections from rapid cooling/shrinkage during casting.
          - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

That's totally normal. It's just what they look like.

Comment

Yup, normal casting flash - unless they go all the way through to the front (front should be fairly smooth).
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
              X