Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E36 style Cold Air Intake behind front bumper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E36 style Cold Air Intake behind front bumper?

On the E36 there is a space where you can route a CAI into the area behind the front bumper in the front wheel well area. I happen to have a Dinan intake from an M42 and it would do the trick if I cut a hole for it (Car has an M50 swap). Only thing it would require other than cutting a hole would be maybe relocating the horn and possible removing ABS mounts and getting thinner ones to push it closer to fender. Anybody ever done this? Tried searching but no luck. Not trying to route to behind the headlight, I'm talking about under that.
    Last edited by CMG; 06-16-2017, 11:17 AM.

No one's done it. But you can be the first.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

A CAI is not really needed on an E30. The stock air box is about as good as it gets.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I know this one is for an M20, but might look in to how this one is routed for ideas

The Miller ProStreet Induction kit is proven to gain 25+ horsepower and torque at the wheels,from this excellent intake system. No other product for your E30 325 can come close to the power the PSIK provides. Dubbed the best HP per Dollar mod available, wake your car up and completely fall in love with your car again. Call today and leave your friends in the dust, 855 269 8863 and order now.
        1989 325is Lachssilber - Sold
        1990 325is Sterlingsilber - Current Project
        September 2018 Car of the Month: Zeemz
        Youtube Track & Autocross Videos

Comment

I cut a hole in the sheet metal in the engine bay near where the cruise control unit was on my last E30 to route some piping.

Then again, the car had a supercharged S52 in the engine bay, and I had to have the MAF mounted a certain distance from the supercharger inlet in order for the tune to work.

In your case, keep the stock airbox.
          My previous build (currently E30-less)
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Yes I am aware it will not do much for horsepower, but would definitely lower intake air temps. Right now it has a KA motors intake which is a piece of crap. What "stock airbox" are you guys referring to, M20 or M50? I'm just thinking about doing it because I have the parts in hand, and it would actually be functional. A secondary benefit is that it would clean up that side of the engine bay too. Car has a salvage title, so don't care too much about hacking into this one.

Comment

thats what my airbox looks like, nice cold air hole right behind the headlight. mine is missing the pipe that comes out of airbox, one of these days i might replace that....

hack away if you want, but behind the headlight is as good of a place as any, and you want to keep the intake inside the engine bay to a degree so if you hit a big puddle you avoid getting too much water in it.

Comment

I just realized I did not mention that car has an M50 swap, so not talking about stock engine. I'll try to get some pics to show what I'm talking about. Not concerned about hydrolock from sucking up puddle water here in Cali. Intake filter would be relocated in area next to horn right above brake duct, and a hole could be cut in the duct or re-routed directly to intake.

Comment

I gave up on this a while ago, There just does not seem to be any room anywhere other than the engine bay or removing a headlight to route a somewhat functioning CAI. Guess I'll just keep the piece of crap KA intake until I can find some type of thermoplastic intake or heat shield that will work.

Comment

I'm in the works of making a cold air intake with seal on top while still being able to use a decent size filter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

24v C.A.I. obd2

This C.A.I. came with a metal shield that can be shaped for e30 use, it has rubber edging because it is unbelievably sharp. You could probably fabricate one from sheet aluminum or galvy.

Comment

I don't have the capability to properly cut and bend sheet aluminum, but that's a good idea of making a cardboard template and finding someone to make it.

Comment

Just remember the closer you get your intake to the outside the closer it is to a ton of water when you hit a big puddle.

What exactly are you trying to achieve with this CAI setup? If it were me i would adapt your m50 to a stock m20 airbox.

Comment

So now that we're into winter I've really been noticing a difference in performance in colder temps. Butt dyno feels like it gains 10+ hp, and call me crazy but I don't seem to hear much pinging during higher loads at lower rpm. Every M/S/50/52 I have ever had has that problem due to crappy lower octane CA gas. My latest thought is rigging up a sort of intake box with a flat filter on top, then sealing that to a ram air scoop mounted on left side of hood. Lots of room there but only thing is power steering res underneath. A second option is running 3" accordion hose to above abs pump and into an intake horn mounted on driver front of hood, and it could stay attached and flex when hood is opened. I don't see any way to mount any kind of intake with air coming from the front of the car. Thoughts? Anybody seen any examples?

Comment

I've been checking out the stock airboxes for the E65/E66, and I'm going to try to get one and mount it in the general area where the stock airbox would go, and I think I'm gonna try louvering the hood rather than ram air scoop style. We'll see.

Comment

Working...
                              X