Larger brake setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Larger brake setup

With the s50 humming along now, the car could use some more stop. Does anyone have a good brake set up for sale or any recommendations (with links?)

It's primarily a spirited back road car with a few autox a year.
    Thanks!

Not affiliated but what I bought for my s52 swap. Still haven't finished to try it yet

Access Google Sites with a personal Google account or Google Workspace account (for business use).

Comment

Originally posted by shootnjunky View Post
      Not affiliated but what I bought for my s52 swap. Still haven't finished to try it yet

https://sites.google.com/site/e30brakesolutions/
      Very interesting, thanks! I'd love to hear anyone's experience that has run this set up. It seems too easy!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by davej View Post
        Very interesting, thanks! I'd love to hear anyone's experience that has run this set up. It seems too easy!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
        There are threads on it just search

Comment

Those brakes basically don't fit over many wheels at all. You also can't get the brackets anymore.

I think I am going to go with the UUC BBK. No adapters involved so that's nice.

Big Brake Kit - UUC Direct Fit caliper, 11.75" rotor, FRONT '84-'91 E30 325/320/318 (all models incl. iX) Pad Choice: Hawk HP-S, street pad. Rotor Choice: Plain Rotors; Slotted Rotors; Drilled Rotors.

17.76% off for the 4th of July!

Comment

With the s50 humming along now, the car could use some more stop. Does anyone have a good brake set up for sale or any recommendations (with links?)

It's primarily a spirited back road car with a few autox a year.
            You probably don't need a BBK for that kind of driving. It's overkill.

Factory rotors and good grippy performance brake pads on all four corners should be more than good enough. When i was actively competing in SCCA autocross racing (and doing lots of intense canyon running) i tested various street and racing compound pads and found the Hawk HP Plus street/track pads worked best. They don't fade and they don't heat-spot (AKA warp) my factory rotors in hard mountain driving. Autocross was no problem at all, even when i ran grippy R Comound race tires in DSP class (which puts more emphasis on braking power). Just make sure to use them on the rear as well as the front to maintain braking balance.

I also tested various types of rotors and found that stock rotors gave more stopping power than drilled or slotted, presumably because there's more surface area for the pads to grip. Pads cant grip holes or slots, and what little cooling properties they claim to provide was not apparent.

Randy Walters

2021 Mazda 3 Sedan Premium AWD
            1988 325is (w/89 bumpers, recently sold)
            1989 325is (Broadsided long ago RIP)
            1996 328is (Sold to Matt J)
            2003 530i Sport (Spare car now)
            2005 X3 (little woman's car)
            Driving Instructor BMW CCA L.A. & S.D. Chapters
            Multiple L.A. & S.D. Region SCCA Autocross Championships

Comment

Originally posted by randywalters View Post

Factory rotors and good grippy performance brake pads on all four corners should be more than good enough.
              QFT.

While primarily focused on track setups, this thread contains a lot of great info:

Originally posted by kronus
              would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by randywalters View Post

Factory rotors and good grippy performance brake pads on all four corners should be more than good enough.
                Good information on the pads, thanks!

I probably should have disclosed that another driving factor for looking at upgrading is a seized caliper up front, I figured it it had to come off for a rebuild anyway, why not use it as an excuse to go bigger?

Comment

I have an s54 swapped e30, and I have the UUC BBK on the front and stock rears. The braking with the Hawk pads was absolute crap. The shop that did my swap (who manage several PRO3 cars) thought I should go back to stock and get Carbotech pads. Eventually, they sent the pads for the UUC BBK off to Carbotech and they made me a set of pads. It cost some $$, but now they will make them for anyone for a more standard price.

The brakes work much better now, much more bite, pedal feel is better. They are a bit noisy and create dust, but my other options were going to cost me several thousand bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good information on the pads, thanks!

I probably should have disclosed that another driving factor for looking at upgrading is a seized caliper up front, I figured it it had to come off for a rebuild anyway, why not use it as an excuse to go bigger?
                    You can get rebuilt calipers from Rock Auto for $30 a piece

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerguy91 View Post
                      Those brakes basically don't fit over many wheels at all. You also can't get the brackets anymore.

I think I am going to go with the UUC BBK. No adapters involved so that's nice.

Big Brake Kit - UUC Direct Fit caliper, 11.75" rotor, FRONT '84-'91 E30 325/320/318 (all models incl. iX) Pad Choice: Hawk HP-S, street pad. Rotor Choice: Plain Rotors; Slotted Rotors; Drilled Rotors.

17.76% off for the 4th of July!
                      While I agree with most of your post, the exception is that the brackets are freely available and easily purchased from the link I posted below

Comment

Originally posted by shootnjunky View Post
                        While I agree with most of your post, the exception is that the brackets are freely available and easily purchased from the link I posted below
                        Have you actually called or tried to order recently? I tried to get them from that guy as well as CATuned and had no luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerguy91 View Post
                          Have you actually called or tried to order recently? I tried to get them from that guy as well as CATuned and had no luck.
                          Yes I ordered a couple of weeks ago and he shipped right away

Comment

Hmm. I'll have to order some brackets then!

Comment

Working...
                            X