Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently installed some sparco speeds using sparco sliders, sparco e30 specific brackets and a sparco hardware kit. This install was very very easy, everything went in without drama and fit perfectly. The only problem I could see is that these seats do sit a bit low with the sparco brackets. Being that I am over 6ft this is great for me as even on the lowest setting the sport seats were too high for my liking. I'm looking forward to more helmet clearence.

The seats are very comfortable (able to drive 1= hour so far with no pain). My back was in pain after work the other day and after I drove home my back felt alot better, these seats fit me really really well. My seats came with harnesses but I'm using the stock seatbelts for the moment because I dont know how to mount the harnesses safely and I hear different things about harnesses from different poeple. The seatbelt female end attaches to the special tab on the seat bracket.

These seats and brackets were not cheap but I had heard pretty horrible things about corbeaus (mainly severe pain from extended driving) and took a chance with these sparcos. I believe this is the best mod I've done to my car, these seats are great!
    Last edited by Apex381; 04-18-2008, 12:27 AM.
    1987 325is - sold
    2001 330i - New DD

Comment

Originally posted by Apex381 View Post
      I recently installed some sparco speeds using sparco sliders, sparco e30 specific brackets and a sparco hardware kit. This install was very very easy, everything went in without drama and fit perfectly. The only problem I could see is that these seats do sit a bit low with the sparco brackets. Being that I am over 6ft this is great for me as even on the lowest setting the sport seats were too high for my liking. I'm looking forward to more helmet clearence.
      pics? :P

where did you order from?

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
      HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
      **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

My seats came with harnesses but I'm using the stock seatbelts for the moment because I dont know how to mount the harnesses safely and I hear different things about harnesses from different poeple. The seatbelt female end attaches to the special tab on the seat bracket.
        Yep, I did a lot of research into this before I got my seats. If you are doing HPDE's, the PCA has gotten much more strict on the use of harnesses.

In essence, the shoulder harnesses must be within a certain range of perpendicular to your back. This is to preclude the straps causing vertical loads on your body and potentially injuring your spine.
        The PCA wants the harness straps to be within 40° of perpendicular. Most other stuff I have seen want the straps within 20° of perpendicular. Shcroth wants them even less than that. You can go to about 5° above perpendicular.

This means that you pretty much have to have a harness bar, roll bar, or full cage in the car to be legal and safe. Just attaching the harness to the rear seat belt attachment points will not be good enough. 4 point harnesses are also not allowed, with the one exception below.

Shcroth does make their "Quick Fit" harnesses that are approved for use without a harness bar. It is a 4 point system. They attach to the rear seat belt mounts. But, they are specifically designed to do this and include a form of anti-submarine technology.

Schroth also makes the Rallye belts that are street legal and include anti-submarine technology. They might be legal for PCA (and other HPDE) groups, but the seat belt must have a tag on it showing that it is approved for your specific vehicle. I am not sure the Rallye belts do have that tag. If they do, then it is your least expensive option for a harness.

To much information, I know.:D
        1987 E30 325is
        1999 E46 323i
        RIP 1994 E32 740iL
        oo=[][]=oo

Comment

Calling Willis!!

Comment

Interesting, the Sparco Milano that was in my car was probably two inches higher than the sport seat that's in there now.
            Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
            Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
            One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

bump, help us out guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Hallen View Post
                Yep, I did a lot of research into this before I got my seats. If you are doing HPDE's, the PCA has gotten much more strict on the use of harnesses.

In essence, the shoulder harnesses must be within a certain range of perpendicular to your back. This is to preclude the straps causing vertical loads on your body and potentially injuring your spine.
                The PCA wants the harness straps to be within 40° of perpendicular. Most other stuff I have seen want the straps within 20° of perpendicular. Shcroth wants them even less than that. You can go to about 5° above perpendicular.

This means that you pretty much have to have a harness bar, roll bar, or full cage in the car to be legal and safe. Just attaching the harness to the rear seat belt attachment points will not be good enough. 4 point harnesses are also not allowed, with the one exception below.

Shcroth does make their "Quick Fit" harnesses that are approved for use without a harness bar. It is a 4 point system. They attach to the rear seat belt mounts. But, they are specifically designed to do this and include a form of anti-submarine technology.

Schroth also makes the Rallye belts that are street legal and include anti-submarine technology. They might be legal for PCA (and other HPDE) groups, but the seat belt must have a tag on it showing that it is approved for your specific vehicle. I am not sure the Rallye belts do have that tag. If they do, then it is your least expensive option for a harness.

To much information, I know.:D
                if you are talking about the rally 3 or 4. i don't have anything as to a tag telling you it is for a BMW, Porsche, Honda, whatever. it does say refer to the instruction manual for proper application. the installation instructions have a chart that tells you what seat can be used with the belt and what aftermarket seats are acceptable
                seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

bride brix. i modified a 240 bracket to fit my car. i look like a child driving my car so low but i love it.

bride>*

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse30 View Post
                    bride brix. i modified a 240 bracket to fit my car. i look like a child driving my car so low but i love it.

bride>*
                    You need a booster seat. :p

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                      I didn't want to spend more than I had to on new seats that can be used as DD seats and safe for AutoX/HPDE events / harness use etc.. I like them, yes they aren't Recaros but they do their job just fine for everyday use and hold me better than the old stockers (cloth oem sports).

So, they were about 800 for a pair new with all the hardware / double locking sliders shipped. They do sit lower than stock sport seats, maybe 1-2" or so, I did not measure this.

brackets / sliders

for now using stock belts

http://www.briangt.com/gallery/album...belt.sized.jpg
                      how do these feel over long drives? does your ass start to get numb?

do you think these would be more comfortable?
                      Last edited by dude8383; 12-23-2008, 08:57 AM.
                      IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

bump for posterity, or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                          Corbeau TRS. Ordered them from apexperformance, free s/h, no tax. You can also order them in microsuede but there was a 2 week wait on those and I needed seats bad before autox so I couldn't wait. I got the regular size for upto 36" waist, there is a wide version available too for up to 42" waist.

http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...p?pid=34&cid=2

Most of the Corbeaus work in the E30. If you are really tall, Corbeau can shave the base of the seats an inch to lower them. Doesn't affect the appearance or comfort of the seat.

They can also install the sub-slot in just about any reclinable seat. Corbeau is the biggest "bang for the buck" if you are looking for a reclinable seat for daily use and occasional track use.

And they make mounting brackets that bolt into the floor of the car so no fabrication needed.

The TRS has been a popular model for BMWs in general.

Comment

Has anyone seen Recaro Experts for sale? In black cloth?

I'm considering the Expert's or Corbeau GTS-II.

The pricing is so much more attractive compared to the Recaro's. I feel like the Corbeau's might be nice if I optioned them with black leather... What do you guys think?

Comment

I am assuming the build quality of the Recaro seats would be better than the Corbeau seats.

The Recaro Experts are also VERY close to stock appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by clavinZERO View Post
                                I am assuming the build quality of the Recaro seats would be better than the Corbeau seats.

The Recaro Experts are also VERY close to stock appearance.
                                You're probably right but I simply can't justify spending $950 per seat and then probably another $100 per bracket as well.

With the Corbeau seats I could get everything for half the cost...I'm actually speaking with ApexPerformance now. They're sending me some samples of the leather and vinyl material.

One more thing...how the hell do you pronounce "Corbeau"?

Comment

Working...
                                X