Q: Convertible top release handle install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Q: Convertible top release handle install

I have parts in hand - handle, housing & trim ring. How do I install 'em?

Thanks
    "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

take the back seats out. roll the windows down. and its easier with top down. you gotta pull the back "door panel" armrest whatever UP to pop it out of the clips. but before this you must take that handle trim off. then with the panel off, you undo the 2 screws that hold the old handle in. unhook it from the release cable. installation is reverse. this is a great mod, just take your time and get it done. my old handle was in like three pieces and i had to wiggle it around to pop the top cover. a new handle does wonders. PM if you need any help.

Comment

I did this yesterday. Once you've gotten to the point in jw 325ics write up where you've undone the two screws that hold the handle in, what you'll be left with is a loose handle dangling from the two cables that unlatch the boot lid. To unhook the cables, all you need to do is take off the black plastic caps covering the post attached to the handle. You should make sure the handle is outside of the side panel when you take off the caps. You don't want to drop one of them in the side panel. Once the caps are off, you can slide the cables will slide right out.

Comment

there you go, its been like 3 or 4 years since i did mine. i knew there was that cap but kind of forgot about it haha. its like a 20-30 min job. good luck man.

Comment

is the boot release handle & outer trim ring the same as used on the front doors? I've read some other sites that state the handle on the doors can be used as a replacement for the rear boot handle on the verts... true or false?

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra Jet View Post
            is the boot release handle & outer trim ring the same as used on the front doors? I've read some other sites that state the handle on the doors can be used as a replacement for the rear boot handle on the verts... true or false?
            True - it's a right side door handle upside-down :)
            Originally posted by alpinaclone
            Since the real economy is in the shitter, I say we start our own.

This is how it works; you buy my junk, then I will buy more junk and so on so forth etc. etc. Think of the future of your children and buy my stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ethirdy View Post
              True - it's a right side door handle upside-down :)
              So, the boot release cables WILL attach to the back side or does it need to be modified?

cool info!

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra Jet View Post
                So, the boot release cables WILL attach to the back side or does it need to be modified?

cool info!
                No modification necessary. It's an upside down, passenger door handle.

Comment

Originally posted by SC ic View Post
                  No modification necessary. It's an upside down, passenger door handle.
                  Yeah - same handle. I did this about two weeks ago. Kinda a paid to get the cables stretched into the new handle - but it can be done.

Don't forget to remove the two screws under the speaqker cover plate (and maybe the speaker too) before you pull up on the side panel to remove it. You should also pull the door seal trim off the panel.
                  Aaron

Comment

Can this be retrofited into a 93 e30 convertible????

Can this be retrofitted into a 93 e30 convertible????

My car started as a automatic but the usual motor arm broke etc. I would like to convert to manual and have the top lock.
                    sigpic
                    WTB-Strut Bar

Comment

Originally posted by SC ic View Post
                      I did this yesterday. Once you've gotten to the point in jw 325ics write up where you've undone the two screws that hold the handle in, what you'll be left with is a loose handle dangling from the two cables that unlatch the boot lid. To unhook the cables, all you need to do is take off the black plastic caps covering the post attached to the handle. You should make sure the handle is outside of the side panel when you take off the caps. You don't want to drop one of them in the side panel. Once the caps are off, you can slide the cables will slide right out.
                      Thanks to everybody for your tips. On mine, there was not enough slack in the cables to take the plastic caps off outside the side sheetmetal. I had to do all of it [the caps, removal of cable, re-install cable on new handle, and re-install plastic caps] all fumbly-fingering it inside the guts of the car where the window mechanism is.

Also, I had to trim a smidge off the bottom of the rectangular cutout in the plastic speaker panel with a utility knife, before I could fit the tapered tabs of the trim bezel onto the outside of the handle. Worked fine, I'm guessing the replacement handle housing was a little bigger than OEM.

Anyway, all done now and it's really nice to not monkey around trying to get the top to pop.
                      "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

Comment

Manual release?

I was replacing the handle on my sons car and it was at this time that I realized that I had the left door handle not the right so I put everything back and closed up the car until UPS visits. Now the top is stuck shut!!!
                        Pulling the handle does not release it, it must have gotten loose from the attachment point on the cable. Is there a way to open this top with out the cable release? Some kind of screw driver trick like with the hood?
                        sigpic
                        WTB-Strut Bar

Comment

No screwdriver tricks. You'll have to get to the cables to unlatch the lid.

1991 325ic and 1991 318is

Comment

If you know were the cables attach on the right side of the car I might have to saw saw my way into a small opening. I will have to go out to check this out.
                            sigpic
                            WTB-Strut Bar

Comment

The latch mechanisms that hold the top cover shut are exactly the same as te one for the hood - I just don't know if there's a way to reach them from the inside face of the mounting points.

There are access plugs at the bottom of the top storage tray that pass through to the trunk - maybe pop those out and reach in to get a hold of the cable?
                              Originally posted by alpinaclone
                              Since the real economy is in the shitter, I say we start our own.

This is how it works; you buy my junk, then I will buy more junk and so on so forth etc. etc. Think of the future of your children and buy my stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X