New set has arrived! Front shaft uppgrade *Finland-Fix*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New set has arrived! Front shaft uppgrade *Finland-Fix*

So I made a second round of these spline extension as requested. Price is 250euros including shipping worldwide. If you want to use paypal, that will add 20euros more.

pm me if you are interested.

Quoting old text:
    Hi guys!

I started to uppgrade my ix drivetrain and first thing is front shaft splines.. I have reade that they are the first point where it cracks.. here is couple articles that i read

i teared my ix transfer case apart and took measuments

front shaft splines are on top of each other only about 18-20mm and there is 60mm long splines in gear sprocket..

so..

Heres what i got

im making new weld-able splines to my front shaft..

...increasing spline "neck" of the shaft so that splines start from the same mark than spline touching each other... also i make splines 50mm long in the shaft... so touching are increases x2.. head is made of imacro M steel and it has section that will be pressed into old shaft pipe, making it stiff and help welding..

so if someone is interested purchasing this part, i will make it and post it with instructions...
    Last edited by jute91; 12-07-2016, 09:34 AM.
    Also found on Facebook - Juuso Tero, Tampere
    https://www.facebook.com/JuusosGarage

I've got something like that now

how much you thinking? I've got two shafts I could rebuild with new splines.

even better would be to make a flange on both sides so the shaft could be removed and inspected without having to drop the whole transfercase.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

im thinking it would be good around 190$ per head... yeah its a lot of work to remove all that just for shaft... i need to figure that flange thing... im studying in school now so it might take some time to make head... ill update when i got some extra head done with splines... splines are under work atm...
      Last edited by jute91; 08-21-2013, 09:49 PM.

Comment

maybe something collapsable like the rear yoke on the ix driveshaft?
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Nando who did those for ya? I have a couple donor shafts that would be nice to have as spares.
          www.instagram.com/snwmble
          #snwmble

Current:
          '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
          '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
          '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
          '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
          '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
          '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
          '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
          '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

I believe those are 525ix shafts.
            AWD > RWD

Comment

Looks good! You could definitely sell a few. I assume the extra "gap" you made between the O-ring and the start of the splines is where it doesn't go into the T-Case anyway?
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

yes thats right... now i uppgraded touching area lenght from 18mm to 50mm..

Comment

All good ways to upgrade these front shafts. I have also thought about blocking off the hollow d/shaft at the case end and installing a grease fitting . As a 30+ year mechanic I don't believe I ever saw a car part die that had a life line of grease. Please keep this going . 91' Ix owner , Joe
                  Last edited by Bmjpv; 02-01-2013, 03:20 PM.

Comment

well i just did this because if i sometimes might turbocharge mine, the splines would last at least...

Comment

the important thing is definitely keeping them greased though. that's why I suggested some sort of flange or collapsable section like the rear driveshaft. The biggest problem with longer splines is you can't easily remove the shaft to inspect the lubrication. Even with longer spline engagement, without lubrication the splines will still fail.

one thing I wanted to mention about how you've removed the "wasted" spline that doesn't actually stick into the transfercase - the problem with this is if you use a thicker flex disc, or a spacer, to push the shaft further into the transfercase, you don't get to use that extra spline engagement. and actually for the bigger HP builds a thicker flex disc and X5 centering pin make a lot of sense anyway.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

well i have read about that mod... check the topic opening links... its just 6mm more... but its not a big thing for me to remove hole t-case :D now when i know how to do it...

Comment

I like this, but if you could make something like what chris is suggesting, it would be even better.
                          Originally posted by priapism
                          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                          Originally posted by shameson
                          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

hmmn.. i had an idea... maybe if i could add grease nipple to shaft, hich would lead the grease to splines? well more work, but make service easier...

Comment

That would be great also, not sure how easy it would be to have it evenly grease the splines though.
                              Originally posted by priapism
                              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                              Originally posted by shameson
                              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Working...
                              X