No announcement yet.

The 5 Year Restoration - E30 M3 Reborn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2.5 Years In... M3 Build Thread...PAINT COMPLETE!

Sticker time.

Painted, paper and tape coming off. The tape is critical. Clean lines here. Zero overspray

Glass cleaned

Old sticker is rough. Enter - the kids washable marker. Traced the outline on the opposite side of the glass from the sticker.

The sticker flaked off in pieces when I touched it with a plastic pry tool. It's amazing it held on as long as it did. Residue removed as well.

The goods.

Bam.

Test mount.

Very happy with the result!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CurrusDei; 03-28-2017, 08:20 PM.

Comment

3 Years in... Rebuilding an E30 M3.

Happy third anniversary

Yeh I know the trunk alignment is slightly off. CF wing coming soon. Maybe tonight. Need another digital caliper first to get the measurements dead on. Might get some security bolts as well as an anti-theft measure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looking killer. Can you test that hair dye product and black lighting on the coolant bottles? I'm really curious if they are save able lol.

Comment

Originally posted by ZekeTheSneak View Post
          Looking killer. Can you test that hair dye product and black lighting on the coolant bottles? I'm really curious if they are save able lol.
          Exactly what I'm thinking. I have a NLA brake fluid reservoir that is yellowed, I think I'm going to try this.
          85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
          e30 restoration and V8 swap
          24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

3 Years in... Rebuilding an E30 M3.

Installed the spoiler.

I decided measuring and marking wasn't going to be accurate enough, since there is a small gap between the sides of the flap and the rest of the wing. Here's the solution i devised...

First, a paper template...

​​​​​​​

Then covered in painters tape, Used crayon (thanks kids) to locate holes

The barrel of this pen happened to have the exact diameter of the thread wells in the spoiler. Perfect stencil

Rubbings traced with permanent marker

Used xacto knife to cut out holes - used cardboard backing to keep from cutting the spoiler

Out

Alignment check

Folded over tape to make double-sided adhesive locations...

This let me properly align the CF flap so that the gaps were even on either side. This would have been very hard to do with measuring, and the surfaces are all curved, so i'm sure i would have been off - not an option when drilling something this pricey

Stencil transferred

Checking distances. it was a fraction of a mm off, but thats ok because i wanted some space between the bottom of the wing and the paint on the spoiler to avoid rubbing.

Drilling begins. This stuff isnt hard to drill, just use sharp (preferably new) bits, slow speed, and gradually step up in bit size

That said, a drill going through CF is now on my list of least favorite sounds. Someone had mentioned that these were 6mm bits.. they're closer to 8 with the threads.

This last bit was the worst because it was one i had instead of buying new, it wanted to walk on me, but i didnt let it. holes came out great

The reveal

And thank goodness, they all align.

Ohhh yes.

Last edited by CurrusDei; 04-08-2017, 09:24 PM.

Comment

That was brilliant.

Actually, not sure which was brilliant, the idea or the execution.

Nah.... As always, both!!
              1990 325i
              2004 330i Individual 6-speed
              sigpic

Comment

May I ask where you found your spoiler?

Comment

Beautifully executed on the wing.

Comment

Too long since my last update. Parts are going steadily back on the car, noticing fewer boxes and more walking around room in the garage.

Rear weather strips in

All side trim is on. I was surprised by how poor the paint job was on the parts from BMW - every trim piece that came had to be repainted or returned.

BMW's paint had rippling, pits, and other imperfections:

My repaint (Wurth Trim Black):

Reminder from disassembly

New clips, new adhesives. Used a heavy duty 3m doublestick adhesive and JB WaterWeld (the putty - it smells awful at first when you mix it together, but is very effective)

Rear windows have yet to be adjusted in the pic above. The front goes on as is, and then you adjust the rear to align.

Top trim on driver door

Lower trim on

After doing one side, my observation was that the lower trim piece was really hard to get on over the rear trim on the door B pillar. On the passenger side i did things slightly differently.

First, I aligned and installed the lower trim piece, fully pushing down the rear section, but not the front. This let me then install the B pillar trim piece (which goes behind the lower trim piece and under the top trim. Lastly, i installed the top trim piece - which is aligned in the rear. I clipped on the back of it, then left the rest unattached so that i could flex the front part of the top trim (the part that goes down in front of the side view mirror). With all this aligned I pressed in the fop trim, then pressed down on the bottom trim piece

Little spoiler alert in that one :)

Comment

time to unwrap another present...

Rear guides back on

Reused the old FG bumper cover support, got all the old overspray off.

Old foam core was still intact too.

Foam in

FG support has to be worked in, under the plastic lips with the grommet holes on them

Grommets in

This guy got painted

Remove and replace

This hole is for the rear side reflector light. Since i'm going with the Euro look on this, i wont be using them. Crazy thing about paint... even with it sanded down, sometimes rubber that has been sitting there for years, even with the old rubber removed, still will bleed up through new paint.

Plugged on both sides

On.

Comment

Incredibly beautiful. I should like to see it live.
                        M3 Sport Evolution 1990
                        M3 215hp 1990
                        318i 1988

My restoration project: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=399373

Comment

great update thanks.
                          https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Amazing work.

Should be a concourse winner once it's done :D
                            My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Weekend update!

Working on finding a new roundel. I'm insistent that it has to be the old PN (solid metal), so I've been buying them as I find them.

Original two are at the top. purchased ones below. Second one in the right column is brand new, stat in its packaging unused in the Netherlands for 30 years. Unfortunately, it has a pit in the paint (upper left roundel segment)

Also coated over these guys

[PLACEHOLDER]

B Pillar trim in (contact cement)

Up next...

Comment

Old roundel's seemed to last forever the new ones you might as well just throw in the trash.

Keep up the inspirational work!
                                https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Working...
                                X