workbench/workstation setups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

workbench/workstation setups

I found a "workshop thread" but it didn't have much involving workbenches/setups.

My fiancé and I are looking for homes right now. It will be my first garage, so I have a bunch of tools atm just collecting dust at my parents place.
    Id like to see other people's setups. Hopefully I can get some ideas on e30/BMW inspired workstations/benches/garages.
    1990 325iX - sterlingsilber metallic
    1991 325i - lazurblau metallic

Originally posted by delamaize
    E30 = Lego for men.

For garage pictures and ideas, I'd head on over to garagejournal.com

There's a lot of information on how to set up your garage. Most of it will center around the size of your garage, your budget, and your needs.

What you plan on doing in your garage will have a large bearing on how much storage and the types of storage you'll need for tools, equipment, and parts.

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

noice. thanks dude.

E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

Moved into my first house a year ago after selling my condo and moving out of the city. Having a decent garage was a must for me, and I lucked out finding a place with a new garage build in 2013 (complete with radiant heating installed already). It had a few benches installed, one of them complete with a parts cleaner which was a nice bonus, but I am putting racks and more benches all along the back wall you see in the pic below. Just waiting for the weather to get nicer, then I can get the 318 out of the way to go full bore into improving the garage.

Steve • Toronto
        1991 318is • Brillantrot
        Build Thread

Comment

Not the best picture, but I built a bench around this cabinet I got for $10 from an estate sale. It's fairly sturdy, though I have designed a better version, just never got around to building it.

The top is 2x4 laid flat and pocket screwed together with a piece of 7/16" OSB and a 1/4" piece of masonite on top. If you go masonite, get the hard tempered stuff, not the medium. The hard stuff is damn near as hard as steel. lol I used to have the 2x4s on edge, but found I couldn't really clamp things down to the bench with it like this. The vice and the grinder have threaded inserts in the bench with bolts to hold them down. Makes removal easy.

Comment

Cool thread idea! Just bought my house in September, and while my wife makes the home her own, I've been working with the garage. Bench was already here, so I've been working with it.

Just added a press and hardware bin I got from work that was heading for the dumpster.

First things first though, get a dry erase board! I wish I had done it earlier. Great for organizing your project priorities and keeping track of oil changes.

Also, I love pegboard. Need to put some more up.

Down the road I want to rip out the mix of wood and tin, and replace it with a cabinet bench setup and a thick stainless work top.
            No E30 Club
            Originally posted by MrBurgundy
            Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Cool stuff. Definitely will be going the pegboard route as well.

E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

This is my setup where I do all my fab work. You can never have to big of a work bench haha.
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

My pops used two pieces of wood we had been using as shelves to rig up his work bench. Also added a hinged section so we can fold it away if we need more room for something like another engine stand

Comment

I frequent garage journal to get ideas for my next place, as well as drool over some of the garages over there. Right now I have what I jokingly call a split garage. I have my at home 1 car garage at my condo where everything sleeps, and I do most if not all my work at my shop

My sig pic is what it normally looks like, but this is what it looks like right now, going camping in the morning so trucks loaded up and ready to roll first thing, M5 is sitting outside with me nervously thinking about it as I try to sleep. Looking to hopefully get a bit bigger of a place here in the next few months with a 2 car garage, but rent at this one is cheap and I'm in a great area, so we'll see

No my fender is not that tweaked, camera wigged out, my truck aint pretty tho, but gets the job done

Comment

My traveling workshop is bigger than my home workshop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1001092027.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	7190338

Name:	IMG_0274.jpg
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	7190339

Name:	IMG_0557.jpg
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	7190340

Name:	IMG_0598.jpg
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	7190341
                      '91 325i

Comment

This is a great thread.

@BaltimoreBimmer: could you post pictures of how he hinged the tables? That's a very good idea!

Comment

Here's the main bench of one of my tiny home shops. It's a Lista ergonomic workstation, motorized to go up and down, and has several height presets I never use. Bench alone is about 600 lbs. Because Lista. Here it is in the lowest setting.

Name:	IMG_1945.jpg
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	7190342
                          '91 325i

Comment

And here it is elevated:

Name:	IMG_1947.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	7190343
                            '91 325i

Comment

This is my workshop that I share with my brother. Got this space not that long ago, begin of February.

I've welded some workbenches from some square tubing and with concrete plex boards as countertops. The stationary benches are each 2,4m long and 60cm wide. the moving one (wheels were not yet installed on this picture) is 1,2 by 1,2m. I might add some more tubing in the middle to have some extra storage. These are pretty tall since I'm 6ft8

As tool board we used a multi fibre board where we tapped nails in.
                              Overview of the shop, currently putting some new sheet metal in the floors of the 325ix.
                              1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
                              1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                              X