Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for e30 mentor (Nor Cal)

Hi Folks,

I'm an over the hill new dad who just inherited an 87 e30. I've been reading and doing my best to learn (bentley, you tube, forums) and I'd like to do as much of my own work on my car as possible.

I have minimal auto repair experience, but if anyone in Nor Cal is doing e30 work and needs an extra pair of hands I will gladly volunteer my help so that I can learn a little.

Sadly I bring no expertise - but I'm free and willing to learn and can help lift that awkward part or hold something in place while you wrench. No problems doing grunt work and getting dirty so I can learn.

PM me if you are willing to let me ride shotgun on your next project.

MC
    Last edited by mc625569; 05-01-2017, 02:39 PM. Reason: Spelling

Hi! will keep you in mind. got a couple projects coming up, including a motor insertion.

also, welcome to the forum!
    cars beep boop

Comment

I don't have anything big coming up, but if I wind up doing anything I'll try and PM you.
      sigpic

Comment

I apprenticed in a porsche shop for about 6 months and will be doing a 24v engine swap soon. I'll keep you in mind. Also if anyone in the area has done a 24v swap and wants to help, I'm more than happy to receive, hahah
        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Well Blunt is near 100 years old, so he is the next oldest on here. So he will mentor you lol

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Sounds good. Look forward to meeting you all.

Im not quite 100, I'm only 40 but I'm late to the party for sure for learning how to fix cars.

But never to late to start. My son was born about a year ago and it made me a little sad that he's probably never see or drive a manual transmission so I started my quest to learn some maintenance so that he can inherit an appreciation for awesome things from the past , the E30 being one of them.

Comment

It's never too late to start wrenching. REALLY wrenching. I had done a few oil changes prior to getting my e30, but that was it.

Got my E30, had the time, space, and will to learn. Replacing the subframe, motor mounts, steering rack and most associated parts.. by myself. Just read, watch, and you'll get it.

Comment

Good to know - good on you man. Question for everyone, do you do most of your work solo - or do you have friends help out? Obviously you don't need a friend for a quick fix but at what point will I be limited by my lack of having an extra pair of hands?

Originally posted by Haystack View Post
                It's never too late to start wrenching. REALLY wrenching. I had done a few oil changes prior to getting my e30, but that was it.

Got my E30, had the time, space, and will to learn. Replacing the subframe, motor mounts, steering rack and most associated parts.. by myself. Just read, watch, and you'll get it.

Comment

I've done the majority of my work solo. Just because I live in an isolated area and don't have folks come to my house. Only time I've had the gf come out to lend a hand is getting the nuts on the shock tower on while I held the front suspension and to hold a wrench from the top while I tightened the steering knuckle from the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Kronus and wworm - I am also willing to help. I am in the bay. Send me a PM. I have a 24v in my e30 :)

Comment

Anyone doing timing or water pump?

Just bumping my thread.

But also discovered a weepy water pump. If anyone is doing a timing belt and I can help/watch before I tear my own car apart I'd supply the brew.

PO claims he "just did the water pump ", famous last words of all POs.

Comment

He could have just done it... But, just done it wrong. I have seen waterpumps leak through the gasket because of not torquing things down correctly. Newbie mistake I have made in the younger/more impatient days.

Comment

I can provide no help but wish you luck with the new car, and learning about it.

Comment

Originally posted by cocofunk View Post
                            He could have just done it... But, just done it wrong. I have seen waterpumps leak through the gasket because of not torquing things down correctly. Newbie mistake I have made in the younger/more impatient days.
                            I'm pretty sure he did replace the pump recently. He did everything he said he did, just not always properly.

As far as not torquing things done , do you mean under/overtighting things ?

I've seen tons of different recommendations for the pump gasket as far as what type of sealant/how much/if any to use.

Any tips for avoiding a leaking gasket on a new install ? There are tons of DIYs for this but I didn't see anything specific about sealing the gasket and pump I. A way to reduce the occurance of "newbie insta leak syndrome"

Comment

Install it per the manufacturers recommendations. The Bentley is going to be your bread and butter for anything OEM related. Do the work per that book and you will be fine.

Also, install bolts to their specified torque, provided in the Bentley as well. 'Guten Tight' as my friends and I used to say is not the right way to reattach components.
                              My previous build (currently E30-less)
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Working...
                              X