Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E30 Rear Shocks interchangeability with E36 and E46?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Rear Shocks interchangeability with E36 and E46?

I am planning on refreshing my complete suspension and one question I have is regarding rear struts. Currently the car has skinny E30 specific rear struts. I have all kinds of rear struts for E30, E36 and E46. I know that technically they will all bolt on but there are different housing lengths and damping rates. It will be used with Ground Control coilovers and JTD RSM. I couldn't find much info regarding using the e36/e46 rear struts on e30. Am I mistaken about the interchangeability? I know that they are fatter in diameter compared to stock e30 but shouldn't be any clearance issues. Any thoughts?

E36 and E46 shocks are longer than E30 shocks, so you would end up with less usable travel. Might be very firm too, since the shock will be in a permanently over compressed state, and you increase the odds of bottoming out.

Comment

Originally posted by earthwormjim View Post
      E36 and E46 shocks are longer than E30 shocks, so you would end up with less usable travel. Might be very firm too, since the shock will be in a permanently over compressed state, and you increase the odds of bottoming out.
      K, thanks for the info. It looks like I was mistaken. E36 and E46 are pretty much the same, but E30 are shorter as you said. I do have shorter housing E36 rear shocks but not gonna mess around with piecing stuff together.

Comment

My current plan is to use the Ground Control coilovers that are now on the car, and if shocks/struts are all blown just gonna try to find used Koni or Billies, otherwise gonna just get some cheap ones like Sensen or Meyle. It will have the JTD RSM in the rear, and a BavAuto rear strut bar acting like the top RSM braces. Front will be using Ruff camber plates. These are all parts that I already have, that's the reason for choosing to use them.

Comment

Oh, and also gonna use Sparco front strut bar, and OEM 21mm / 14mm sway bars. That will be the first set up I'm gonna try.

Comment

Who makes the struts currently on the car? I know Koni has a warranty, and Bilsteins are cheap to revalve.

Comment

Koni has a warranty if you have a receipt from an authorized dealer, and Bilstein is around $125 each to revalve, so not worth it. The car is just gonna be a beater daily driver so prefer to use stuff I have and keep it cheap. I actually have a full set of new Koni, plus new OEM Mtech, and multiple spring sets, but I'm not going all out with this car. Keeping it cheap and simple.

Comment

Working...
              X