No announcement yet.

325iX vs 325is for restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As someone who owns both of them I'm going to have to recommend going with the 325i. If you wanted to just do a simple restoration then either one, but if you want to modify it then you are kind of forced to go RWD.

*Also the ix parts can be expensive, but I've spent much more on my 325i than my ix just because of mods.
    My Garage
    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

E30 Choice

Go with a 325is/i and if you want more period correct & ultra low mileage then it could be a premium. I was quite amazed what that Delphin Grey late model is coupe got on BAT if anyone saw that. 20k!!

That car was listed in MD that sold a few years ago I was too late to the race.

Not to Hi-Jack the thread at all but just to throw it out there my project is ready to go on the market soon(sorry guys non BMW related. I own an E30 late model and love it to death)

Stick with the more basic RWD
      Attached Files

Comment

I have both and also agree with the above. IS > IX for a resto. IX fender flares and Euroweaves can make any non-IX E30 look pretty close to a true IX.

All E30's should be sleeping when salt is around.

IX parts are getting pretty expensive (think front axles, control arms, strut housings, etc). Some of us are now hoarding parts to keep our beloved IX'es going. :)

The E30 collection:
        1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
        1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
        1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
        1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
        1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
        1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
        1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
        2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
        2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

Wow, we've got some scaredy cats up in this thread. Afraid to do a little more maintenance. My suggestion is to drive both and see which one you like better. Yes, the steering input is definitely heavier on awd. Yes, it does add 143lbs. Yes, awd parts are getting harder to come by and more expensive. But if all these things put you off the ix, you might as well drive a miata because they're true in a miata to is comparison as well. Or an ix to m3 comparison, except the weight.

Even better than just driving either, see if you can autocross both models. In rwd you can almost never put your foot flat to the ground unless you're running tires so fat they're actually slowing you down. It's light and airy. You're constantly dancing the back end around. In awd you have so much grip you can hammer down the throttle all the time. Your biggest enemy is understeer of course. You are going to get pulled through the turns. It's a quite a large difference the driving feel between the two models.

The biggest issue is finding an ix with as little rust as possible. But that's true for any e30. 88s are the best year, imo, because they come loaded with all options except heated seats which were actually optional.
          AWD > RWD

Comment

Although I do hear ix's are amazing in the snow, if you want snow-plowability go with one of these :)

Don't be too scared of IX specific parts, read my build thread above, they're not to hard to find. Based on feel and desirability i'd go RWD. If you want something a little different, get an ix.
            Build Threads:
            Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

continuing with my thread derail:

Build Threads:
              Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

The difference in driving style is even more pronounced on dirt

My street ix

Not being a pansy about it in the snow

IXs are actually a lot better than most awd vehicles in the snow. Really the only thing better from a drivetrain perspective is 4x4 with lockers. IXs have 2 limited slip viscous differentials that can lock up 100% .
                Last edited by Kershaw; 06-21-2017, 08:52 AM.
                AWD > RWD

Comment

Julien, this is for you

AWD > RWD

Comment

The problem with an iX is that it's even harder to find one that hasn't rusted to shit.
                    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

When you get to the "mod" part of restomod the iXs seem to get expensive quick. From what I've seen online the drivetrain has some weak points that won't take the abuse your average turbo M20 dishes out let alone something really powerful. When people mention Nisse Järnet's iX while talking about AWD E30s it must be mentioned that his car is a complex build and is pretty much a custom AWD drag car which just so happens to look like a regular E30.

IG @turbovarg
                      '91 318is, M20 turbo
                      [CoTM: 4-18]
                      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                      - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                        IXs are actually a lot better than most awd vehicles in the snow. Really the only thing better from a drivetrain perspective is 4x4 with lockers. IXs have 2 limited slip viscous differentials that can lock up 100% .
                        front diff is open afaik. rear and transfer case are viscous.
                        Build Threads:

Comment

Yes that is what I said. The transfercase is a limited slip differential. You'll get 3 tires rotating the same at all times. You can launch like crazy. I launch at 5000rpm on dirt and grass at rallyx and instantly take off. Rwd will just sit there over 2500rpm.
                          AWD > RWD

Comment

Given how susceptible the e30 is to rust, I think the main benefits of AWD really are moot for me. The point would be driving it in snow in New England winters. I like the fender flares and the "uniqueness" but I could always modify the RWD to taste.

A question for the group:
                            What are people's thoughts on taking a 325i/iS, finding a totaled e30 M3 and using the body panels to make it look like an M3 body. And then doing an S52 or S54 swap. And then debadging the car. I really like M3s box flares, but can't justify the price. Just a thought as I contemplate the direction I'd want to go here....

Comment

Do whatever you want. Buying fiberglass fenders would be easier and cheaper though.
                              AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by wintershade View Post
                                Given how susceptible the e30 is to rust, I think the main benefits of AWD really are moot for me. The point would be driving it in snow in New England winters. I like the fender flares and the "uniqueness" but I could always modify the RWD to taste.

A question for the group:
                                What are people's thoughts on taking a 325i/iS, finding a totaled e30 M3 and using the body panels to make it look like an M3 body. And then doing an S52 or S54 swap. And then debadging the car. I really like M3s box flares, but can't justify the price. Just a thought as I contemplate the direction I'd want to go here....
                                To do this right, which is really the only way it should be done, you would be entering into a new realm of E30 ownership/modification.
                                My previous build (currently E30-less)
                                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Working...
                                X