Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much power can a stock transmission take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much power can a stock transmission take?

Hey guys, I'm doing a m60 swap in a car, but trying to get the 5 or 6 speed stuff is becoming a nightmare, I was able to to find this

It adapts the a m20/m50 transmission to work on a m60.

I know 92-95 E36 transmissions are ticking time bombs, and e30s had stronger transmissions. anyone know what their limit seems to be?
    Last edited by FireFight; 06-26-2017, 09:27 AM.
    WTB:m60b40 in PNW
    Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
    92 525it 5 speed.
    80 244gl (m60 prepping).

What about a trans out of an E46 330 or M3?
    I forget where, now, but I recall seeing that those-
    especially the 5- speed-
    were rated for a surprising amount of torque.
    And you can find them all day for $200 or so.

The 260 is (relatively) heavy and weak...

just what I remember from surfing the webs,
    t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Thank I'll look in to that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
      92 525it 5 speed.
      80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

It'll take a lot more than a NA M60 will dish out.

IG @turbovarg
        '91 318is, M20 turbo
        [CoTM: 4-18]
        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
        - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by FireFight View Post
          I know late E36 transmissions are ticking time bombs, and e30s had stronger transmissions.
          ZF320s are ticking time bombs? That's news to me. Getrag 260s are stronger? Also news. Where'd that info come from?
          Originally posted by kronus
          would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

I have M50b30 turbo with 360 lb/ft and my getrag 260 is holding up fine
            intending to raise boost to 500 lb/ft on it too :-)

Comment

The M60 5 speed is the same ZF 320 as used on the 24V engines.

I don't understand how "trying to get the 5 or 6 speed stuff" is a nightmare, or how ordering a part from Europe that costs more than you should expect a V8 5 speed to cost is in any way preferable.

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                ZF320s are ticking time bombs? That's news to me. Getrag 260s are stronger? Also news. Where'd that info come from?
                I never said that the ZF320 in peticular was a ticking time bomb, but the Getrag was a weak transmission, and they where ran from 92-95. i have personally swapped out 2 blown getrags from stock e36s in the past 2 years.
                but I have never had a e30 trans take a shit on me after the dozen I have owned. And I dont recall anyone that has told me their trans in a e30 blew up.
                based off that my assumption was that the e30 trans may be stronger when compared to the Getrag in the e36

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

(post 4)
                Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                92 525it 5 speed.
                80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Originally posted by FireFight View Post
                  I never said that the ZF320 in peticular was a ticking time bomb, but the Getrag was a weak transmission, and they where ran from 92-95.
                  That explains part of it. You said "late E36 transmissions are ticking time bombs." 92-95 are early E36; 96-98 - which had the ZF320 - are late E36. That said, I agree with you. I wouldn't use a Getrag out of an E36 for any swap.

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                    That explains part of it. You said "late E36 transmissions are ticking time bombs." 92-95 are early E36; 96-98 - which had the ZF320 - are late E36. That said, I agree with you. I wouldn't use a Getrag out of an E36 for any swap.
                    Your right, I was thinking e34 in my head, not e36 haha

I fixed the OP
                    Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                    92 525it 5 speed.
                    80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

:up:

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                        I don't understand how "trying to get the 5 or 6 speed stuff" is a nightmare, or how ordering a part from Europe that costs more than you should expect a V8 5 speed to cost is in any way preferable.
                        Shop for the price of a new m60 flywheel and clutch kit compared to a m50/m20.

Flywheel
                        $613.45

$334.01

---------------
                        compared to a e30 which was the original question

clutch kit
                        I already have a flywheel and transmission so $0
                        and adapter

$359.99

so total would be $657.08 if i can run an E30 transmission
                        compared to 947.46 if I where to run a m60.
                        plus the cost of the transmission, which fetch a decent price because e34 guys want them, supply and demand.
                        Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                        92 525it 5 speed.
                        80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Good info here, I could not find on the listing where it stated the flywheel that you used with the adapter. Are you saying that you could use the stock M20 Flywheel behind the M60? Bolt pattern? Spacing? ON their website they have an adapter for the V12 too, that gives me ideas for the E28....

Comment

Im not sure, Austin! and i were talking and he is pretty sure that they are the same bolt pattern, but i cant find any info on that
                            Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                            92 525it 5 speed.
                            80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

...the 260s in Pro3 cars are not particularly robust.

But:

the drivers of Pro3 cars are pretty hard on their transmissions,
                              since in theory the cars are pretty closely matched. So while we're killing
                              them weekly, it doesn't mean they don't hold up when NOT abused.

t
                              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                              X