Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battery always dying cant find the leak.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery always dying cant find the leak.

I just bought a battery from OReilly about a month ago and about three days after installation with minimal driving my car wouldn't start. I jumped the car and had it run for a good fifteen min and then turned it off to see if it holds a charge. The car struggled to start but I didn't think anything of it. Lucky me I was on my way to oreily but my e30 died again at the store. The guy said it was most likely a bad battery and he gave me a new one. It was fine for a few more days but now it won't start again and even struggles after a jump.

I've tested the alternator and its fine. I just don't know what could possibly be stealing the power.

Another observation is that there is a lot of battery acid around the battery. Could it be possible they are giving me the wrong one?

TLDR my battery keeps dying and i dont know why.

Any suggestions where to look?

If you see acid on the battery, your alternator is overcharging it.
    Originally posted by codyep3
    I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
    2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
    1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
    1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
    2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
    2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
    2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
    2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
    2010 F650gs twin
    2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

You should do a current draw test and see what may be drawing the power down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      1990 BMW 325i Sedan
      Mods:
      -Condor Poly CABs

Comment

15 mins of running isn't nearly long enough to recharge a car battery

batteries for old cars are simple enough that the only way you could get the wrong one is if it didn't physically fit.

retest your alternator/volt regulator. A dead alt will kill the battery. Why did you get a new battery to start with?

do what 86bmw325e said and stick a volt meter between your battery and negative terminal and set it to amps and see what kind of number you're getting. Mine is about 0.28A with everything off

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
          15 mins of running isn't nearly long enough to recharge a car battery

batteries for old cars are simple enough that the only way you could get the wrong one is if it didn't physically fit.

retest your alternator/volt regulator. A dead alt will kill the battery. Why did you get a new battery to start with?

do what 86bmw325e said and stick a volt meter between your battery and negative terminal and set it to amps and see what kind of number you're getting. Mine is about 0.28A with everything off
          He means 0.028A, or 28mA.
          Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

^ yes that. Thank you

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

You can test the alternator with a voltmeter. Using a battery charger fully charge the battery by charging overnight. Then disconnect the charger and measure the battery voltage, which should be 12.7v. With the engine idling you should see 13v or slightly more. At 2500rpm you should see about 14v.
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
              X