Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In over my head with my M42. (Albany, CA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In over my head with my M42. (Albany, CA)

I know it seems like I'm spamming here, but I'm kind of becoming desperate on this M42.

I definitely took on a bigger job than I was ready for, and even got some initial help with disassembly of the m42 cooling hoses, etc. However, I'm just not technically savvy enough to get it all back together. I'm about $600 in so far in parts, and while certain things I'm great with, (belts, auxiliary components, basically the front of the engine) I've having huge issue with the "mess under the intake". I don't want to delete hoses, but I have no idea how to get it all back together properly...

I'm also on a time crunch, and I'm just sort of stuck.

I'm more than happy to pay for any help from someone in the area. In hindsight, I definitely should have brought it to a shop, just thought I'd be able to tackle it.

I really appreciate it.

1986 325e Maaco Black M62 Project [SOLD]
    2008 135i Alpinweiss III Cabriolet 6MT [SOLD]
    2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
    2011 BMW X5M [Daily]
    1991 318is Slicktop Diamantschwarz Metallic [Thread]
    1973 BMW R75/5 Toaster Tank [Summer Daily]

Why not delete the hoses? You eliminate so many possible failure points. This diagram is super helpful in doing that. Probably easier to eliminate them at this point then it is to try to put it back together as is

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    '91 318is
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sandrune View Post
      Why not delete the hoses? You eliminate so many possible failure points. This diagram is super helpful in doing that. Probably easier to eliminate them at this point then it is to try to put it back together as is

Because, what hoses do I use? Part Numbers? Custom? Where do I get them? How do I block the old passages? I've never done anything like this before, and it's far more involved than an M20 is with so many more hoses and failure points.
      1986 325e Maaco Black M62 Project [SOLD]
      2008 135i Alpinweiss III Cabriolet 6MT [SOLD]
      2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
      2011 BMW X5M [Daily]
      1991 318is Slicktop Diamantschwarz Metallic [Thread]
      1973 BMW R75/5 Toaster Tank [Summer Daily]

Comment

I'll try to track down which hoses to use, been a while. Lots of info on m42 club also. Look around there. You don't need to block any old passages, you're removing parts and junctions and just rerouting a single hose, eliminating failure points. Seems a bit like you jumped in without really researching what you were supposed to do. I'll try to help as much as I can though through here. If you were in socal I'd offer to come help but you're a bit far haha.

'91 318is
        sigpic

Comment

This link has alot of helpful information in it.

This one may also help a little too

'91 318is
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X