Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to file PayPal dispute

Hi All,

I know that the required period for filing a dispute is 45 days, but that seems like an awfully long time to have laid out money and not get what you contracted to purchase.

I usually am very reasonable with dealing with online vendors if there are delays in shipping out to me, as most people are great with communication and "keep me in the loop".

On June 7th, I finalized a deal for a drive shaft I found on Bimmerforums. I sent the pay pal money the same day, and received a message of "thanks" back later that day from the vendor.

Three days later I had not received any updates or shipping info, so I sent off an email asking that he forward me the tracking number at his convenience.

No response.

The next day I emailed him again asking if it had shipped. He did respond but said "I'm still getting ready to ship". Whatever that means.

Two days later I emailed asking if there was any update on shipping. No response.

Two days later I emailed again asking if he had any updates for me.
    He responded with "Working on paperwork today".

That was five days ago and I have not received any response to the emails I have sent to him since that time.

We are coming on 2 weeks of shady correspondence, or lack thereof. At what point should I let him know that if I don't get a satisfactory response asap I will be initiating a claim with PP? I have never had to do this, but I am getting a bad vibe. I have learned to trust my instincts with people- it almost always turns out to be right.

Thoughts?
    1976 2002, 1987 325is, s50 1991 touring, 1996 328i vert

I'm done messing around with this as well. What I have learned is that the product better be ready to ship before I pay.

Also, 2 x weeks and shaddy responses = file a claim with Paypal in my book. I am no longer willing to mess around. We hold up our end of the bargain, and it is unacceptable for a vendor or anyone else not to live up to theirs. It is a business transaction, and we need to start treating it as such....make them deal with their own incompetence. Maybe it will wake them up for how to conduct their business in the future.
    1997 Artic Silver M3
    CES GT4094r 651hp/615tq @ 24 psi

Comment

Email sent, As long as you didn't send it as a gift you should be covered. There is a few scammers on both forums most of the time same person, using diffrent user names. All of us good bmw guys try to look after each other. A BMW code of conduct, I like to say. Sometimes it takes people a week or so to ship? But 2 weeks without good communication is a problem, for me I have the part ready and ship next day with tracking. If I have to order I keep in constant contact. If you need anymore parts let me know and I will ship with tracking for secure transaction. It protects both of us, over 20 years of doing bmw parts and projects I take great pride in reputation and service.
      SHAWN
      bmwextremeparts@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by BMWManiac View Post
        I'm done messing around with this as well. What I have learned is that the product better be ready to ship before I pay.

Also, 2 x weeks and shaddy responses = file a claim with Paypal in my book. I am no longer willing to mess around. We hold up our end of the bargain, and it is unacceptable for a vendor or anyone else not to live up to theirs. It is a business transaction, and we need to start treating it as such....make them deal with their own incompetence. Maybe it will wake them up for how to conduct their business in the future.
        QFT

45 days is just the limit on filing; you can file whenever you want. You can open a case with PayPal without escalating it to a claim. The seller can escalate it for you - it's rare, but it happened to me.

By opening a case you're showing the seller and PayPal that you're concerned about the lack of communication and/or that you may not receive your item(s). There are more than a few deadbeat sellers out there who need some extra motivation to get off their dead aching asses and ship the stuff you paid for.
        Originally posted by kronus
        would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

It's not this guy right?

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)Be Afraid Of The Future

Comment

Give a solid date and a definate action that you need to see and let the seller know what you plan to do if that isn't met. Make youre expectations perfectly clear as well as the action you will take if they do not make that happen.
            For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
            Originally posted by mbonanni
            I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Originally posted by Roysneon View Post
              Give a solid date and a definate action that you need to see and let the seller know what you plan to do if that isn't met. Make youre expectations perfectly clear as well as the action you will take if they do not make that happen.
              +1

Tell him if nothing happens today then you are filing a dispute tomorrow.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
              Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Make a claim. It will only light a fire under the seller. He has had plenty of time. What does"getting ready to ship mean"? What paperwork needs to be arranged? Send the freaking part!

Comment

File a claim. Doesn't sound like this vendor knows how to properly run a business, so he shouldn't be in business in the first place.
                  1988 325 Lachs Sedan SOLD

1989 325i Bronzit Beige 2 Door
                  SOLD

2018 Volkswagen Alltrack SE DSG
                  Past:1988 325iS Lachs 5 Speed

Comment

You're lenient. If I suspect the slightest bit of foul play (dodgy answers, lack of responses), I'll file a dispute as soon as PayPal will allow me to. It doesn't hurt anyone and sets you up to get your money back if need be.

It takes a month to get it back if the seller doesn't play ball, so pitch early.

That said, honesty and a simple "I waffled it all up but I'm making it right." Goes a long way in my book.
                    No E30 Club
                    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

I would have filed one right after I got "working on paperwork today". That is such a bullshit response. He's basically saying you and your business aren't important to me at all so I'm going to do my own thing today.
                      Byron
                      Leichtbau

Comment

Quoted email just sent:

Hi XXXXXX,

Unfortunately, unless you have already shipped the drive shaft, I am requesting a refund of my money by the end of today's date. I understand that you may have a personal situation that you are dealing with, however, I believe that I have been more than reasonable and understanding.

The lack of communication and delay in shipping the product has caused me great concern. I have been held up with completing work on my car that had been planned due to this delay.

Unless I hear from you by 8PM Newfoundland time with either a tracking number or a refund I will be contacting PayPal to initiate the dispute process. I have done many online transactions in the past and I have never had to take such steps.

I trust you understand my position on this and look forward to hearing from you.

Andrew
                        1976 2002, 1987 325is, s50 1991 touring, 1996 328i vert

Comment

Damn you're nice.
                          No E30 Club
                          Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                          Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                            Damn you're too nice.
                            Originally posted by kronus
                            would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Well Done!

Fair , concise , gives a drop dead date that response is needed by, clear and understandable.

You hit all the bullet points! :)

Good luck with this! I think most of us that are regular purchasers of car related parts have gone through something similar at one point or another.

Comment

Working...
                              X