Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discussion: Breaking down each improvement that the E30 M3 has over the base E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things from M3 I've adopted to my E30..
    Front caster with M3 eccentric bushes. Moves the wheel 2,5cm forward, adding a lot of caster angle and therefor dynamic camber.
    Moving the front tyre forward affect the weight distribution also, by 1%ish.

Sway bar links in front similar to M3. Sway bar "response" remains about linear throughout range of wheel travel. Also when you have steering angle, correctly placed drop link points "pull" the sway bar to a preload, ie. it "works more" the more steering angle you have.
    Modified wind screen opening for a bonded glass, adds shell stiffness.

4 pot engine for weight distribution 8)

Close ratio box, less rev drop when upshifting. Also the M3 trans mount is 4 point so it adds a bit of stiffess to the pro shaft tunnel.

Throttle bodies and plenum for even mixture and filling.

The washers that reside above E30 rear subframe bushes, can be pressed into a cup shape mimicking M3 type washers, thus they allow less rear beam vertical movement for better wheel angle and roll center control. I myself have shore 95A bushes but I've done that mod to other cars.
    Last edited by petrolhead; 02-12-2016, 02:00 AM.

Comment

This thread should really have started with a list of differences and then broken it down from there, there's just too much otherwise.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
        This thread should really have started with a list of differences and then broken it down from there, there's just too much otherwise.
        We can all go to http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E30/, and browse the catalogue part by part, click "usage" on each item to see if the part is the same on regular E30 and M3 :).

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
          per your request good sir, I have changed this thread a bit and will update it. I really would like if we have a good list of things people can do.

My whole idea behind this thread was that I want to make my E30 more aerodynamic and less of a flying box so I look at what the factory has done as a starting point and it got me thinking about the other mods I have access to
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
          X