Antique license plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antique license plates

Who has them? What are the advantages of having one? Are there insurance discounts etc?

Thanks for the input
    sigpic
    85 325e 5spd

different states have different rules. the advantage is that its usually a very cheap registration. i think they generally look like something that belongs on a model t.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
      different states have different rules. the advantage is that its usually a very cheap registration. i think they generally look like something that belongs on a model t.
      This is the first thing that came to mind when I read the title.

I have a hard time considering my e30 an "antique"!!!

Antiques are for old people.......I don't want to admit I'm one yet!

Comment

I have a 1973 MGB that's registered as an antique.

In NJ you pay a one time registration fee of $44 plus the cost of plates (vanity plates are additional).

The insurance is pretty damn cheap, I think I pay $203/year for 5,000 miles and agreed upon value comprehensive coverage.

The caveat is that antique plates are supposed to be for show vehicles only and aren't meant to be driven for daily driver duty. I've never heard of anyone getting pulled over for it, but there is the possibility. I wouldn't want to drive my MGB every day as it doesn't have much cargo space, can only carry one extra person, and doesn't have A/C or heat really, plus the top is a glorified tarp so rain will get in if its more than a drizzle. But for cruising around in the evenings or on a mid 70 degree day, its excellent and I have fun with it every now and then.

Comment

It depends which state you're in. In CT the only break you get with antique plates is initial registration is a bit cheaper and annual car taxes are WAY cheaper. Insurance is the same and there is no limit to how often you can drive the car.

Mine say "Early American" on them but idgaf because I'm just glad to have the option of classic plates. Coming from CA, where the only way to get classic plates is to buy an old car that happens to still have its old plates

They started doing that thing where they reproduce the old plates but that was after I left

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Idaho has classic plates. You only have to display the rear, they are all white with black letters and say "classic". You only pay registration once but can't DD, and if they catch you you can get a ticket. I'm sure it's similar in other states.

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
              It depends which state you're in. In CT the only break you get with antique plates is initial registration is a bit cheaper and annual car taxes are WAY cheaper. Insurance is the same and there is no limit to how often you can drive the car.

Mine say "Early American" on them but idgaf because I'm just glad to have the option of classic plates. Coming from CA, where the only way to get classic plates is to buy an old car that happens to still have its old plates

They started doing that thing where they reproduce the old plates but that was after I left
              They are starting to give you the option of blue or black plates now in California. I'll be going black on the plates of my e34 just to match the car color. I think its only $35 more a year on registration.
              Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
              Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
              Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

As I recall (in WV), you can drive the car to shows, the mechanic and mostly on the weekend. Not for daily drivers. One big advantage is the insurance is much cheaper, and you can insure the car for a much higher value than is typical for an "old" car...very handy since in many instances a minor fender bender would mean the insurance company would want to total your car and give you almost nothing. No inspection sticker is required.

Comment

May have to get one. In SC, they take your old title and give you a new one that is marked "antique vehicle" . Is that true in other states as well?
                  sigpic
                  85 325e 5spd

Comment

In VA you have to prove that you have another car registered that is not an antique before they'll let you get antique plates. They are lifetime tags meaning you buy them when you register, no yearly renewal and cheaper registration. You are only supposed to drive it on a limited basis like in other states. Insurance is also cheaper. Only issue I had was with my insurance (State Farm) who needed to inspect my car before they would insure it as an antique. They claim the car needed to be in good shape before they would insure it, not sure if that was just my agent's policy or company wide, the website says it covers antiques in all various conditions.
                    2004 BMW e60 525i - Daily
                    1996 BMW e36 M3 - Toy
                    1994 Jeep Wrangler - Summer Toy
                    1993 Range Rover Classic - Handsome Looker that never gets driven

Comment

I should add that my insurance is completely separate from my registration and I have full coverage atm, though if I wanted to insure the car as an antique car I would be limited to miles driven, parked in a garage, etc. It varies by state but I guess CT isn't that bad... for once

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Working...
                      X