Long trip advice? H2oi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long trip advice? H2oi

Hey guys, on the 1st my buddies and I planned a trip to H2oi. It's the longest trip I've ever drove, so I'd like some advice if you guys have any! We're leaving from Buffalo NY to Ocean City so it's going to be a decent haul. I'm taking my iX which I've done a ton of work to in preparation over the past month. (Timing belt+other belts, head gasket, even a full head rebuild after seeing a little drop in compression.) So I figure I should be sound mechanically. Other than that if you guys have any advice for the travel itself, or something I should prepare my car for before we leave I'll appreciate it!

(Also hope to see some of you guys out there! I went last year (passenger) and missed the E30 meet! )

-Spencer
    sigpic

Just keep an eye on ur temp gauge if ur sitting in traffic if it's hot. Bring tools, zip ties, water, oil and duct tape just in case. U never know if u need it. Check fluids before leaving. I take my ix EVERYWHERE. NYC to Vermont every wkend during the winter and took it twice to Montreal from nyc twice this summer. If ur car is a stick remember u can always try to push start Ito get the car moving if it doesn't start. You will be fine
    www.instagram.com/snwmble
    #snwmble

Current:
    '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
    '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
    '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
    '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
    '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
    '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
    '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
    '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Don't forget jumper cables, floor jack (if u don't trust using the stock oem scissor jack), and wheel lock key if u have it...and the oem tools to remove lug nuts
      #snwmble

Current:

Past:

Comment

I recently drove from Maryland to Oswego with two friends and it wasn't a bad drive. A bit shorter than your route but you really shouldn't have a problem. Where are you staying in Ocean City?

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Law enforcement will have a heavy presence, and not just in OC. Mind your Ps and Qs.
          ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

+1 on law enforcement. Have all ur docs present and up to date. Last yr I got pulled over in OC for speeding and stupidly forgot to bring my insurance card. My gf at the time was an NYPD cop so I got out of it, but if I hadn't they were going to tow my car
            #snwmble

Current:

Past:

Comment

Add fluids and go, That's not a long trip. Used to commute from DC to Springfield Mass round trip twice a month.

Bring a basic set of tools and maybe a bottle of distilled water as an emergency back up. AAA Plus and decent spare.
              https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

As a 5th time attender of h20, I'd be more worried about the cops once you get down there then making it down there.

My friends and I have never had any issues but one of my GTI friends decided to go stretched tires/air ride this year and I know he will have problems. We also have a few 500+hp cars going and I feel like they may get themselves in trouble.
                No antenna? I sell plugs!

Here: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...77#post4937877

Comment

As others have said, Police will be the biggest issue. Make sure you don't have any unsafe modifications of they might impound your car. They have said they will be doing so.

I.e. ridiculous stretch and camber that lets you leave the tire stickers on. (seen it at h20, retarded.)
                  No E30 Club
                  Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                  Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

For anyone going, I'm going to try to organize cruises for the early comers. I think I'm getting there Tuesday and I'd really like to explore areas outside of OCMD itself. I'm sure there's some great cruise/picture spots. Feel free to PM me contact info!

Nick
                    No antenna? I sell plugs!

Here: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...77#post4937877

Comment

As long as you properly maintain the car, you shouldn't have any issues.
                      Estoguy
                      1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Oh yeah how could I forget the OCPD. I don't have anything done that should put me on a flatbed. So that's a plus.

audiquattrot: I met you last year and talked to you on insta. Got the same hotel, not the best, but close to the action/beach.

Reichart12: I believe were up around 156th street. So close enough to enjoy everything and stay out of trouble.

Nick's e30: I'm definitely interested in meeting up! We're heading in that thurs, I'll shoot you a pm that week.

Everyone else: Thanks for the advice! Duly noted and greatly appreciated!

-Spencer
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by spencer_e30 View Post
                          audiquattrot: I met you last year and talked to you on insta. Got the same hotel, not the best, but close to the action/beach.
                          yup I remember! you took a photo of my car that my buddy found on IG.

I love staying at that hotel as crappy as it is. Been staying there for the last 4yrs. Will be there this yr too, but prob w/ my E46 M3 this time though.
                          #snwmble

Current:

Past:

Comment

Originally posted by audiquattrot View Post
                            yup I remember! you took a photo of my car that my buddy found on IG.
                            Haha I had to represent the iX community! I was in love when I saw it there. The only iX I saw that weekend. But definitely we'll have to meet up sometime over the weekend. Too bad last year the stars didn't align, and I missed checking out your buddy's M3. :(
                            sigpic

Comment

Count me in for whatever meet you guys get going!

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Working...
                              X