Anyone Know Small Block Chevy's? I Need Some Assistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Know Small Block Chevy's? I Need Some Assistance

I'm working on a 1974 Corvette. Basically, after installing the new heads and rockers, I found a problem. After bolting on the rockers, I found that some of the lifters were not preloading (Once I reached zero lash, anything past it resulted in the valve moving rather than the pushrod preloading the lifter). Am I looking at a cam/lifter replacement? Did I attempt to adjust them incorrectly? This is my 1st time dealing with the internals of a pushrod V8 (most intrusive job up to this point was an intake swap), so any assistance is appreciated.
    IMG_0145 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

If you pulled the lifters out and replaced them with new ones its a really good idea to take the block to a shop to have the check the lifter holes. My buddy with a 302 didnt check and the lifters seized. I hope not but sounds like thats what happened to you.
    Float like a cadillac sting like a Bimmer!:)

sigpic

Comment

did you soak them in oil before installing them?

I have soaked them in oil for days before installing to help with the preload adjustment, if not, do you have a primer to prime the oil system?

How were you trying to adjust them? order?
      88 M3 Lachsliber glass top, 90 IS project,

Comment

^
        that
        Originally posted by Fusion
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

Comment

3rd. Any time hydraulic lifters are removed, or when you are installing new, first thing is to put them all into a jug of oil for as long as possible.

BUT! Your oil pump is driven off the distributor, so get yourself an adapter or a really long flat head and spin it with a drill to prime them and fill the lifters.
          No E30 Club
          Originally posted by MrBurgundy
          Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

You can replace the lifter without replacing the cam, but not the other way around.

Also, you posted that you replaced the heads and rockers. I am guessing you left the lifters in the block, and in that case, you don't need to fill them with oil.

sounds like you have a stuck lifter(s). Pull the manifold and lifters. You should be able to push the plunger down in them with a little bit of force. If not, you may be able to free them, but in the end, lifters aren't very expensive, or difficult to replace.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I'm relatively new to e30s and the m20, but I do know small blocks and old Corvettes. Before you pull the intake PM me with your phone # and I'll walk you through it.

Comment

Well, if I can do a lifter replacement without replacing the cam, I'll just do that. Several of them turned out to be stuck.

Comment

yes, you can do that,
                  88 M3 Lachsliber glass top, 90 IS project,

Comment

Don't do it, a cam and lifter kit with a timing chain is 209$ from comp cams. JEGS.. If the lifters are junk then don't mess with an unknown cam.as stated bathe new lifters in oil and pump them while in the oil bath just fill up in box they come in.While you are there, timing chain also. Unless you really like taking things apart again!!

Comment

^^^But now you are talking about pulling the timing cover, accy's, anything in front of the motor to get the cam out etc etc. Just because a lifter is stuck, doesn't mean everything else is junk.
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:
                      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Ended up ordering lifters today. For reference, the car did run before it was disassembled, so I don't believe there are any problems with the camshaft.

Comment

Working...
                        X