Delta cam question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delta cam question

Delta cams will do a mild performance regrind for $95.00 each cam. They can't do welding because the cams are hollow. So it is a mild performance gain. I was thinking of sending my intake cam for regrind when I perform the engine refresh later this year.
    Any comments on doing this?

I have been curious about doing this as well since it seems that MM offers this on one of their various build stages. For a lot more than $95 bucks though.
    You say "Where are your other two cylinders?"
    I say "Where's your other camshaft?"
    Frankenmotor: if an M42, M44, M20, S50, and S52 were to have a kid.

Comment

For less than 200.00 for both cams you can't be wrong.
      If I'm to go ahead with this, I'd be looking to do regrind for the top end power.
      As far as the gains, I'd think it might be 5% power gain, more or less...but you get a heck lot of fun.

Comment

I went to delta for my m50nv cams I was very happy with the results with a tune.

Comment

I read that the stock cams are in the low 240's for advertised duration. If that is correct, then I think a 264/256 would work nicely without loosing too much low-end. I am totally guessing on these numbers, but I think MM has a similar pair. If you could raise the compression to 11:1 using some combo of s50/52 pistons (i've done no research) then some of the DCR could be regained making the engine more driveable. My guess too is that it will still pass smog, esp with a 3-way catalyst.
          One step down would just be a 250ish duration intake cam to liven up the topend on an otherwise stock engine. Cam timing would be critical on either application.
          I haven't put too much thought into this as i have been leaning toward turbo. However, working nearly 50 hours a week with less income than I'd like, its unlikely I'll do either.

Comment

I have 279/276 VAC cams they love sing up high, lost some low end but the gain on the top end is worth it.
            1991 BMW 318is Track Car-NEEDS ITBS AND STANDALONE!!
            1997 BMW 328i Daily Driver-like buttah..

Comment

With an m42, you start off with 0 low end. Kinda hard to have less than zero

Comment

All you need to know about M42 cams in here.

Stock ones are 252°/252°, 10.2mm lift
                MM sport are 258°/228°, 11.15/9mm lift, 124°/76° while over 7.5mm lift
                MM rally are 272°/258°, 11.4/11.15mm lift, 132°/124° while over 7.5mm lift

Long total duration is nice and all, but what really counts is how much of that total duration is spent with large valve openings (>7.5mm). Ask Delta how theirs compare in terms of profile.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Kinda hard to have less than zero
                  ha- it moves your zero up from 3200 to 3800!

t
                  now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
                    Stock ones are 252°/252°, 10.2mm lift
                    MM sport are 258°/228°, 11.15/9mm lift, 124°/76° while over 7.5mm lift
                    MM rally are 272°/258°, 11.4/11.15mm lift, 132°/124° while over 7.5mm lift

Long total duration is nice and all, but what really counts is how much of that total duration is spent with large valve openings (>7.5mm). Ask Delta how theirs compare in terms of profile.

So if I read this correctly, MM decreases the exh cam duration to lower than stock. Interesting. I will say that after doing some mild porting on a spare cylinder head, the exh ports and valves seem quite generous compared to the intakes.
                    Why not just have an intake ground at approx 264* and 11mm?

Cam profiles are a huge factor in how well they work. My Nissan V6 that I had in my 510 had 280* duration cams (SOHC) but their spec sheet showed that they hit .050 lift a full 10* sooner than the popular Schneider cams also rated at 280* advertised.

An exceptionally good valve job can make good use of lower valve lifts.

Comment

iirc Delta's regrind is pretty much an S50 profile, but don't quote me on that.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Working...
                      X