School me on coatings, wraps and blankets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on coatings, wraps and blankets

What's the best way to keep down underhood temps? I've read a lot about ceramic coatings, fiberglass header wraps, turbo blankets, etc, but it's hard to get much info on how the different options compare to one another. I'm really focused on keeping down the underhood temps more than increasing performance. Maybe ceramic coating the exhaust housing and downpipe, with a turbo blanket? What about adding header wrap over a ceramic-coated downpipe? School me, r3v!

From what i've read, you can do both but the wrap may cause corrosion of the manifold if its not stainless even though its coated. The wrap will generate higher temps causing the ceramic coating to lose its glossy finish if that is something that you care about. Adding a turbo blanket to the turbine housing should also help keep your under hood temps down.

Personally I think I am going to go with professionally coated headers, turbo blanket on the turbine housing and ceramic spray paint and wrapped downpipe.
    2.7i Stroker Turbo Build Thread

90 325i | 95 Miata

Comment

Another thing to think about is how annoying it gets to work on a car where there is fiberglass everywhere, its worth it just fg splinters suck.
      I just a run a turbo blanket on my m20 and seems to help alot.

Comment

Working...
      X