OBX turbo manifold adapter help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OBX turbo manifold adapter help

So I'm in the process of replacing my exhaust manifold gaskets and I cannot mount both manifolds and the adapter without having an exhaust leak! I've had all three loosely bolted up, but not sure if I just need another hand to balance it all or how to go about making sure my exhaust manifolds are flush....

So, I've done this twice now, and I thought I had this resolved, but apparently not. So, my question is, is there anyone running the adapter that has drilled the holes larger on the adapter so you can mount the manifolds and then mount the adapter?
    1997 Artic Silver M3
    CES GT4094r 651hp/615tq @ 24 psi

Did you convert to bolts and take out the studs? Thats step one.

Comment

No....take the studs out of the exhaust manifolds and convert to bolts? I didn't realize that was a requirement.....any recommendation for length/type of bolt? I'd like to use the new 15mm nuts that I have for the stock studs....did you drill out the holes in the exhaust manifold to make them larger?

Or, are you saying, remove the studs, and just have bolts I can screw into the manifold?
      1997 Artic Silver M3

Comment

I have this manifold too and ran into the same problem. I just figure I would have had to make the holes in the adaptor a bit larger with a dremal.
        M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Comment

Originally posted by dougie30 View Post
          I have this manifold too and ran into the same problem. I just figure I would have had to make the holes in the adaptor a bit larger with a dremal.
          Yes, I plan to mount the manifolds and then see where the adapter fails to fit onto it and just make the holes slightly bigger, may see where the hangup is and drill the holes a little at an angle....I think this would be an easy fix to be honest. I do like the idea of maybe removing the studs and use a tap and die set to just insert a bolt. I don't like how the 15mm nuts don't screw all the way down the stud...they get extremely tough after a couple of turns
          1997 Artic Silver M3

Comment

That is what you need, taken from this thread which you should read.

Comment

Oh wow....I didn't even think you were talking about the studs out of the head itself, I thought you were talking about the studs in the exhaust manifold themselves!

I like the idea, and will give it a try. One of the main issues of getting the manifolds/adapter out of the engine bay without lifting the motor are the exhaust studs in the head....this will definitely make it too easy.

I will yank the studs out.

Oh and another tip for those running the adapter or top mount setup....remove the coil wire from the plastic guard and route it individually from the cam, under the intake side of the turbo....

Lastly, I don't see a need to trim the front exhaust gasket....it bends easily, and I have no issues installing spark plugs or the wiring with the gasket there
              Last edited by BMWManiac; 06-11-2014, 03:12 PM.
              1997 Artic Silver M3

Comment

So, I'm bumping this....switched to bolts and still getting an exhaust leak. I am now going to remove the adapter, mount the exhaust manifolds, see where the adapter gets hung up, and enlarge some of the holes....
                1997 Artic Silver M3

Comment

Pics?

Comment

What would you like a pic of?
                    1997 Artic Silver M3

Comment

Pics of What you guys are talking about

Comment

This mounts to the stock manifold....however, with both manifolds mounted, the adapter doesn't slide on properly....I enlarged all the holes just a bit and now everything mounts like it should
                        1997 Artic Silver M3

Comment

Working...
                        X