Cooling your m30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use 61-31-1-364-272-82
    in all my cust 24v swaps. just wire it to high speed. turns on at 82 deg...

Check Us out on Facebook
    Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
    Full Product Line Tuning
    OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

My current switch is the old a/c switch and my fan is either on or off depending on switch position. So if I were to buy a two speed fan how could I make it run on only the high speed? Or would I have to wire up a different switch that would allow me to toggle between the two speeds?
      -Matt

Comment

Sorry to bump such an old thread but I just purchased the spal fan and wanted to ask a couple questions.

I am currently running my AC fan as my main fan that is hooked up to the thermostat and AC switch. I am told there is a a switch that has the fan go at two speeds depending on temperature. Where would i find this switch or do I need to purchase the above switch that OP has?
        sigpic
        TRANSACTION FEEDBACK HERE
        FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

The switch is located on the side of your radiator

Comment

I found when using the stock location that the fan wouldn't come on early enough with the lower temp switch in the side of the radiator (stock, the switches are on the cold side, which no one really seems to ever comment on?). Could this be the root of many people's "overheating" issues, as opposed to problems with bleeding. I haven't found my M30 any harder to bleed than the old M20 that was in there.

Simple fix is to screw the 80/88 switch into the thermostat housing. There's a bung for it between the blue and brown plugs, on the outlet to the top radiator hose and the size and thread is perfect :)

This is where the S14 runs the aux fan switch when running it as the main fan.

Personally, I run a cheap e28 82 degree switch (same as 328iJunkie above 61-31-1-364-272-82) with the fan coming on at high speed. Didn't overheat at all last summer, even in traffic at over 40C ambient. In normal weather, the fan doesn't come on all that much, although I would like to convert it to two speed sometime for quieter running.
            Last edited by lukeADE335i; 05-15-2013, 07:00 AM. Reason: added part no.
            My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Cool, I will check it out when my fan comes in tomorrow.
              sigpic
              FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

IIRC i used the switch from e36 318ti which has lower temp degree.

Comment

While some people like using the aux fan switch. I personally prefer mine to be on a switch. I like being in control of when the fan comes on and off. Just my preference obviously.
                  Turbo m30 drift car build.
                  500whp or bust.
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=256525

Comment

Originally posted by stinkydriverx View Post
                    While some people like using the aux fan switch. I personally prefer mine to be on a switch. I like being in control of when the fan comes on and off. Just my preference obviously.
                    I used to have that mode, but i tend to forget to turn it off after i ended up cruising 65mph on the freeway.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkydriverx View Post
                      Why not have both?

Comment

So I installed my fan and it seems to be working great but just wanted to make sure I did this right.

I just cut out the wire from the back of the old fan and connected it to the new fan. I didn't use the two speed switch mentioned in the first post. Will my fan be pushing air at its maximum capacity?

sigpic
                        FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

The big resistor above the fan in your photo causes the low speed setting, so if you removed the resistor from the circuit, it doesn't matter which side of the original fan circuit you run, your new fan will run at maximum speed. Both sides of the original Aux fan circuit are 30 amp, so you should be fine.

Comment

Just throwing this out there but I'm using the 61-31-8-361-787 switch with an ac fan from an e32. Made a few brackets from bar stock and put the fan on front of the radiator. Actually touching the radiator to make sure no air would go around it. Then made a patchcord with a connector from an e32 in one side and a connector from an e30 on the other side. Basically to extend the cable connected to the fan in the e30. Plug and play my friends. It automatically turns on when it gets about half in the temp gauge. I can also turn it on low if I push in the AC button in the dash. Never have had any problems even in the Cali summer. And spent about $30 bucks for this set up.

Comment

Yeah - I'm running basically the same setup as you with an e32 aux fan - works a treat.

Not sure why some seem to make the swap so difficult.

Comment

i just found this.its more pricey but worst case this would have to work. http://shop.deltapag.com/Brushless-Fan-Kits_c2.htm

let me know what you guys think

Comment

Working...
                                X