How to test for hg failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to test for hg failure

See the op in my post below "help! Won't start after timing job" for an update on my engine.

Once I have it buttoned back up is there a test I can do before getting it running to determine if I've blown a hg/cracked/warped head? Coolant pressure test? Is it possible to do a cylinder compression test at home? I want to figure out all that needs to be done before I take it apart again

Sent from my XTo912 using Tapatalk 2

A compression or leakdown test won't conclusively tell you anything; the pressure loss could also come from severely worn rings or scored piston bores, as well as a bad HG or valve seats. You could do a coolant pressure test, which is pretty easy. Leave a pressure tester on the radiator for awhile at 15 psi and see if the pressure drops. If it does so quickly, you know you have a problem.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

So I just pressurize the coolant system with a kit and then if the pressures drop but I don't identify any external leaks its the gasket?

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

You can check for leaks from a cylinder into the cooling system with a variant of a leak down test. Pressurize each cylinder with 150-180psi and see if coolant level in the expansion tank rises (with the cap off).
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by bstarr3 View Post
          So I just pressurize the coolant system with a kit and then if the pressures drop but I don't identify any external leaks its the gasket?

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2
          Maybe. And that's the problem with all these tests. But if you park over dry ground, this will definitely tell you if you have an external leak or not. I forgot about jlevie's test-do that. It's much more conclusive than pressurizing the cooling system.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Working...
          X