m42 starts, idles at about 400 rpm then dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m42 starts, idles at about 400 rpm then dies

So I pulled the engine in my dads 318is to overhaul the timing system and install new gaskets and a clutch. everything has went very smooth and the motor is back in the car. It will start but runs rough and will not get over 400 rpm. Idle will hold steady at 400 rpm but if you give any throttle input it will bog out. Timing is good I have check TDC 80 times and theres no "Dieseling" or noises of any sort besides a misfire. AFM was rebuilt while the engine was out and the readings are spot on with that. TPS also checked out fine. Ground wires are fine. Battery was weak so I have been jumping it off using my own e30. Check engine light is not on. I have been getting funny readings on the crank sensor so I am leaning towards that at the moment. I inspected all vacuum lines before dropping the motor back in and they were fine. Previous owner was a local mechanic that we have used for years and he maintained/replaced most things like that. I have unplugged and plugged the ecu. didnt do it. So right now I am stumped. The Injectors have also been replaced within the last 10k with remanufactured yellow tops off pelican. fuel pump has been replaced and is functioning but pressure is unknown. Also unknown is resistance of coil packs. the way the plugs are hooked up on the fender is also a mystery. bmw did not label the plugs going into the packs, just the plug wires. any advice, tricks, input is appreciated. 6 pack of blue moon to the person who figures this out. Thanks in advance and I feel pics/vids are going to be requested?
    Last edited by broach328; 06-24-2012, 02:55 PM.

Originally posted by broach328 View Post
    So I pulled the engine in my dads 318is to overhaul the timing system and install new gaskets and a clutch. everything has went very smooth and the motor is back in the car. It will start but runs rough and will not get over 400 rpm. Idle will hold steady at 400 rpm but if you give any throttle input it will bog out. Timing is good I have check TDC 80 times and theres no "Dieseling" or noises of any sort besides a misfire. AFM was rebuilt while the engine was out and the readings are spot on with that. TPS also checked out fine. Ground wires are fine. Battery was weak so I have been jumping it off using my own e30. Check engine light is not on. I have been getting funny readings on the crank sensor so I am leaning towards that at the moment. I inspected all vacuum lines before dropping the motor back in and they were fine. Previous owner was a local mechanic that we have used for years and he maintained/replaced most things like that. I have unplugged and plugged the ecu. didnt do it. So right now I am stumped. The Injectors have also been replaced within the last 10k with remanufactured yellow tops off pelican. fuel pump has been replaced and is functioning but pressure is unknown. Also unknown is resistance of coil packs. the way the plugs are hooked up on the fender is also a mystery. bmw did not label the plugs going into the packs, just the plug wires. any advice, tricks, input is appreciated. 6 pack of blue moon to the person who figures this out. Thanks in advance and I feel pics/vids are going to be requested?

We are in the same boat though mine won't start.
    Originally posted by bmwm42
    PNW vulture pm me for parts
    Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

makes no sense man. stay tuned for some pics of car in tdc. i feel like this is electrical ignition issue. may it be cam sensor or coil packs. plug wires are in order with regards to the printed label on the wire. 1 goes to cyl 1, etc. the weirdest thing with this is that before the overhaul everything ran fine apart from the chain tensioner completely dead.

cams tdc:

crank at tdc:

I feel the issue may be in this general area. (it may seem obvious but they can plug to either coil. ignore their deceiving resting position.)
      Last edited by broach328; 06-23-2012, 09:46 PM.

Comment

I hear you your issue might be that you might have the fuel lines backwards?
        Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

they are color coded with a paint pen. red and blue. :( i hope it ends up that simple

Comment

exactly how you have them is how i have them? question is now does the car idle smoothly how it is now or does it idle shakey. one simple solution would be to try and swap that would reverse the firing order 1432 or if you have it backwards now 2341
            Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

not even close to being smooth and it does shake a bit due to the misfire. If you put your hand by the exhaust tip you can feel it in pulses, if that makes sense. its not a constant flow, its as if alternating fire. It sounds like something way off with the ignition timing but i could be missing the mark

Comment

Do you have the coils hooked up in the right sequence? When I first set up the megasquirt on my car I had them hooked up 1-2-3-4 when they should be 1-3-4-2. If you have one pair switched, that will give you a pretty good misfire, but it still might run a little.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

are you talking about the wiring harness to the coils or the coils to the plugs?

Comment

I'm talking harness to coils
                    Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

Originally posted by broach328 View Post
                      I have been getting funny readings on the crank sensor so I am leaning towards that at the moment.
                      This.

Comment

Comment

cps shows a consistent 539 ohms :( what else could it be?

Comment

anyone? anyone at all?

Comment

update. cyl 1 and 3 compression around 30. 2 and 4 are fine at 195

Comment

Working...
                              X