Electrical Conundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical Conundrum

I've got a 318is that I have been working on. I'm trying to chase down an electrical issue.

I swapped to stock m42 for a lower milage m42 out of a vert. I used the original engine harness and accessories.

The issue seems like a weak connection somewhere. The car is running well with a solid idle but when I drive it, it will intermitently do some crazy stuff. The temp gauge will peg on hot and the engine will have less power. I can floor it and let off the pedal a couple of times and the gauge will go back to normal and it will run fine again.

I am not 100% of this correlation but it seems that if I turn the car off while its in "limp" mode with the temp gauge pegged, when I go to turn it back on I get nothing. The radio and stuff will turn on but the car wont crank, not so much as a starter click. But then I can put the car in gear and roll it dumping the clutch to spin the motor over and then it will crank up. I have had success with this a few times but I am not 100% that it works everytime.

So it seems to me like something is coming disconnected or connected when it shouldn't be and shaking the drive train one way or another seems to giggle it back to the way it should be.

Anyone have an experience with this phenomenon? Any ideas on how to track it down or what it could be?
    sigpic

Check to see that the engine block is actually getting ground to the frame. Engine moving around may cause the intermitent issue's. Did u get the ground strap at the motor mount back on?

Comment

Working...
    X