Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving to Texas what are my Bimmers to expect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to Texas what are my Bimmers to expect?

Got a promotion/transfer at my job and I'm relocating to the north DFW area for at least a year. Just wanted some general information as to what expect behind the wheel.

I live in a commonwealth, not a state so I don't have to worry about DMVs, even though I did deal with them in Hawai'i and found them horrible

All I've heard is that everything flows via the interstate, and they're constantly under construction making the traffic pretty bad.

What are the emissions/inspection laws like? I've got an e30 rust bucket in need of a resto, and an e36 compact. Was planning on taking the compact initially, but it has custom exhaust. Might not pass inspections.

Really looking to buy a swapped e30 with some of my relocation bonus, but until then I need to figure out if I'm going to be able to bring any of my vehicles with me.
    West German BMWs, they just don't make the same as they did before the wall fell.
    ^Case in point: Auto-Repair Technology. Everytime my car isn't starting or acting up I let it sit, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for days. But it eventually fixes itself.

Is the E30 scene that poor in TX? Guess I'll have to repost this in the general section to get some responses.
    West German BMWs, they just don't make the same as they did before the wall fell.
    ^Case in point: Auto-Repair Technology. Everytime my car isn't starting or acting up I let it sit, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for days. But it eventually fixes itself.

Comment

I've been down here coming up on a year. I've seen 2 e30s te whole time in/around Dallas. Both drivers didn't seem to be enthusiasts

Comment

The laws vary by county. In harris (houston) Once your car is 25 years old you only need to do safety inspection, no emissions. And safety is real easy to pass, just don't go to pep boys.

DISCLAIMER: Do not read below, it is illegal and don't do it. Period.
        A trick people do is photoshop their insurance documents to show an address in a county outside of the city. They are usually more relaxed, sometimes don't have emissions on any year of vehicle, and it's gonna be way cheaper. Do some research on the texas dps by county. Your e36 will pass in certain countys, the police only need to see a sticker on the windshield.
        Once again, disgregard that advice. I heard it from a friend who has been successful in doing this, but it should not be done so don't.

My Transaction Feedback
        My "build" thread
        BUY MY CAR!!

Comment

e30 enthusiasts in DFW are few and far between. DFW is too much of a new car market and most everyone is living on credit and leases, so that means everyone is driving a car no more than a 5-6 years old.

Comment

I lived a few hours west of DFW area and was in a county without emissions... which was awesome after growing up in California!

I never did any BMW meets as it was too long of a drive for social, but did a driving school with the lone star chapter at Motorsport Ranch Cresson, and had a great time.
            My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by saturnv7890 View Post
              T, but it should not be done so don't.

I have not been advised to keep my kentucky address and keep the car licensed in kentucky as long as possible until I can get my car up to inspection. Not sure what the law is about changing your address.

Kentucky requires change of address within 10 days of moving, but isn't enforced much.

Hawai'i doesn't require you to get a new license until your out of state one expires. I guess they figure most people just come to live for a little while then leave. I proved this theory correct.

I'll be living in Tarrant county most likely. I'll have to do some research on the local laws there.

I'll probably only be in TX for a little over a year as I'm a vagabond at heart.

Comment

I'm on an internship down here, had an rx7 registered in NY for about 5 months and didn't receive any trouble. And I kept my CT license.... and now I've got an e30 registered down here in TX in another county. It's totally fine haha

My Transaction Feedback
                My "build" thread
                BUY MY CAR!!

Comment

Good to know! Thanks for the info!

Comment

There is actually a lot of us in Dallas. We all get together once a month.

Comment

Anything over 25 years old in Tarrant county is safety only. I never had trouble getting my 90 to pass. A car that is running well shouldn't have any trouble passing.
                      sigpic

Comment

I've been down here for about a month, moved from DC Metro. I've seen 1 E30 and 1 E28. Did the BMWCCA autocross on Saturday at Dallas Motor Speedway. Other than a 2002, I had the oldest machine there. Nice people, had a good time. Looking for the E30 scene too.

Bruce

Comment

Working...
                        X