m20 Turbo Headgasket pushing Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
    I'm quoting this because it's a very good point.
    Me speak properly good English....

I think it is odd that you've pushed the gasket on that No.3 twice now, and in a fairly spectacular fashion. I'd be getting your injectors tested if you are sure of head and block surface perfection.
    -----------------
    89 M50B28 turbo
    LINKY
    -----------------

Comment

Post up ur timing map

And stop using victor reinz gaskets. They blow dudes.

Comment

Originally posted by 93supercoupe View Post
        Post up ur timing map

And stop using victor reinz gaskets. They blow dudes.
        This. Lets see the timing. How do the plugs look? can you post good quality pics of them too? Always a good way to tell if you were detonating. I feel like your timing is just too advanced.

What CT's are you having when your ripping the car?

Comment

Sorry guys been busy, I do want to mention a few things.

To save my self the embarresment and to make my initial post short and sweet, to be correct this is the 4 HG ive blown SMH :( one time was due to not re-torquing headstuds properly after intitial start and i went out and ripped it, (nothing like doing 2 HG in two days! so fun haha) The car has popped twice now around 120mph under heavy boost.

I just finished putting the car all back together and will be starting it up this weekend.
          I ran a victor rienz one time and have used felpro all the others,
          I am torquing ARP to 70 ftlb with arp assembly lube and retorqing after a good heat cycle which is usually bleeding the cooling system, I run some cheap oil through during this first start up then drain and run 10-40 castrol synthetic. I will post up more info from the megasquirt setup once the car is running and i can gain accsess, and flowing my injectors wouldnt be a bad ideal.

I was getting alot of heat/ steam (maybe oil/coolant) coming from the valve cover port which i have a hose running it to the ground to dump to atmosphere, my plugs looked like shit and i fear my valve seals may be failing, i will post a pic of plugs this evening.

I am going to keep the car parked until i tune it but before that is done i need to put the clutch in due to it slips under load in high gear so no tuning until that is taking care of.

what are CT?
          and again i will post up as much info as possible once car is running and i connect to the megasquirt.

Thanks again guys
          1993 E30 Vert/Turbo/MS/Borbet BS

Originally posted by anabolice30
          Oh well, not like I could scoop any of the chicks in this thread. My e30 is still on bottlecaps..

Comment

I believe he's asking about your coolant temps
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Yeah I was talking about coolant temps. Why do you think your valve seals are failing? Because of oil on the plugs as you said they didn't look good?

Lets see plugs, and ignition map. That will help the guys on here come up with possible conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                I believe he's asking about your coolant temps
                Thanks, I only have my stock gauge. I replaced the waterpump, tensioner, timing belt about 6 months ago, aswell as Ireland racing silicone hoses and mishimoto radiator, the gauge will sit around the 1/4 mark but will rise when sat for a period of time and i have watched it get to hot for my liking but that is due to i dont have a shroud on the fan to draw air flow :( but temp on gauge is always acceptable while cruising and never spikes to red hot until it has popped

Oh well, not like I could scoop any of the chicks in this thread. My e30 is still on bottlecaps..

Comment

looks like signs of detonation on the piston to me.
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                  My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

here are pics of the plugs, the piston almost does look like pinging causes by detonation but the piston was just dirty as I had just pulled the head off(oil/coolant/debris everywhere) and hadnt wiped them down yet,all pistons look the same everytime i have done the HG and are cleaned up at this point and all look good.

cylinder1

cylinder2 http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/a...pse3075717.jpg

cylinder 3

cylinder 4

cylinder 5

cylinder 6

wiped plug 3 threads with paper towel and have what I would say oil and of coarse coolant

the only reason I feel my valve seals are going bad is cause of the excessive blow by or steam oil/coolant coming from valve cover, I was driving the car a few days before it blew and it started running like sh1t to the point it would hardly drive but I limped it home cause I was only a mile away, I pulled the plugs and they looked horrible and oily wet, didnt smell like it was all fuel and there may have been some coolant on #3 due to HG gasket on the way out but all other plugs also were wet and like I said it didn't smell fouled with fuel and they weren't soaked in coolant so oil is what I ruled at fault, I grabbed an old set of bpr7es I had laying around which is all I've ever ran (gapped around 20 I believe) and the car fired right up and I drove to work the next morning and you could tell it wasn't running prime due to slight hesitation and that's when I saw a 6.0l gto with mods and couldn't resist although I knew the cars condition and I put the hurting on him with a few car lenghts on a bad clutch and after our 2nd pull( he wanted another chance haha) so I pulled on him again and that's when it popped. this time the car isn't going to be driven till I do clutch and tune cause I can't drive the car without temptation to get on it And enjoy it like I built it for... but I hope that day is soon to be around the corner. and lets just say my girlfriend doesn't like the car so much anymore since I've payed it more attention than her this year haha :/
                    Last edited by .FUDD.; 11-20-2013, 06:50 PM.

Comment

here is a pic of the plugs that were in before I swapped the other set in the day before it blew HG

also here is dyno sheet PO gave me , I believe this was on 12 or 14psi. again I haven't changed tune or messed with it at all. I will have car running this weekend and will get all the good log info such as timing charts..... this weekend if all goes well.

Comment

I'm not trying in any way to be facetious but i would seriously recommend you order the following book and read it through from cover to cover at the very least. Its easy reading and could be read through easily in two to three sittings. If you plan on really enjoying a boosted car then i highly recommend you understand the fundamental concepts of tuning at the very least.

Performance Fuel Injection Systems - book by Matt Cramer and Jerry Hoffmann A book that covers practical selection and tuning of EFI systems.

Then move on to Maximum Boost by Corky Bell.

Comment

Point taken, and I am going to order it this evening when i get off work. Thanks for the info!

Comment

like I said earlier send me a pic of your timing map and I can see what it looks like compared to a safe base map

7speedshop.com

Comment

Originally posted by kamotors View Post
                              like I said earlier send me a pic of your timing map and I can see what it looks like compared to a safe base map
                              any info on how to obtain would be great, I will do some research tonight but I'm not exactly sure how to gain access to timing map and msq data. does the car need to be running. I will have time Saturday and Sunday to get it running and gain this info and will post it up ASAP, thanks again for the help and my performance fuel injection diyautotune book and maximum boost book will be in on Saturday and I am going to cover the material as quickly as possible, now I need to find someone who can tune and is familiar with megasquirt and these cars in the northern Virginian area, I think the ls2 goat guy on here is close and I'm sure he may have someone who could be of help or maybe himself without breaking the bank!

Comment

Have you tried resurfacing your head and block? If you haven't, that's probably why it keeps blowing on cyl 3!

Comment

Working...
                                X