Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Golf Thread (Not the Volkswagen)

Any golfers on here?

I played a few times a year growing up but never took it serious enough to improve my game. I played a scramble with my company last summer and got hooked. Now I play a few times a week and am looking to break 90 by the end of the year.

What's your best round, best hole, what's in your bag?

Golf thread go.
    Instagram
    sigpic
    Current: 99 M3
    Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

Ooo yes. I love golf. If I could play every day, I would.

I'm shooting in the 80s on a regular basis. I almost broke 80 for the first time earlier this week.

I've been playing since sophomore year in college... So 5-6 years.

I've shot 2 eagles, but no hole in 1s yet. Many close calls though.

My bag:

Ping g20 driver 10 degree
    Ping g20 3 wood
    Ping g20 17 degree rescue
    Stiff shaft for the pings

Taylormade burner 2.0 irons. Extended 1/2 inch because of my height. I'm 6.3. Steel shaft
    4-pw

Cleveland cg15 wedges extended to the length of my pw. Steel shaft.
    50 degree
    56 degree
    62 degree

Cleveland Classic putter
    Last edited by randomtask37; 05-23-2014, 11:52 AM.
    98 M3/4/5

Comment

Right on man. Never had an Eagle. Most recent birdie was Tuesday on a par 4, 320 yards. Drove about 240, pitched it just off the green, and chipped it in. Pretty happy about that one.

My bag:

All of it is very much geared towards the high handicapper, since I am one. But I'm really comfortable with all of it.

Taylormade RBZ 10.5 degree driver and 17 degree 3 wood.
      Callaway Diablo Edge 3 (21) and 4 (24) hybrids.
      Callaway Diablo Edge 5-PW irons
      Cleveland Niblick GW (49)
      Ping Anser putter

12 clubs for now...Looking to get a SW and a LW in the 54 and 58 variety... Looking at Cleveland 588's. How do you like the cg15's?
      Instagram
      sigpic

Comment

I played every day I was in Florida last week, though I don't get out and play locally as much as I'd like to - usually something car-related takes precedence. I usually shoot in the 90s.

Bag is mostly Callaway:
        454 Titanium 10°
        Fairway 3
        20° rescue hybrid
        Fairway 9
        2004 Big Bertha irons 4-10, 55° SW, 60° LW; all graphite shaft

Except:
        Cleveland 50° PW (lost my set-matched one years ago)
        Odyssey putter

Originally posted by BobombETA View Post
        All of it is very much geared towards the high handicapper, since I am one. But I'm really comfortable with all of it.
        Yep, mine too. I just got new grips put on everything right before my trip. Going from standard grips to medium grips with one extra wrap made a positive difference for me, since I have big hands.

Any of you guys play WGT?
        Originally posted by kronus
        would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Yea you need some more flexibility close to green. Aka more wedges.

Cleveland makes great wedges. The cg15s work great for me. I bought them all at the same time for consistency sake. so I got specific degrees and bounce in the same club head.

588s are great wedges. Also check out titleist vokey wedges. Some swear by the vokeys.

My personal preference is to avoid cavity back wedges and get the same bounce specs in all wedges. I'm sure others would argue against that.

Don't get anything higher than a 60 degree wedge. My 56 is for sand and anything inside 100 yards. My 62 is for emergency purposes only.
          Last edited by randomtask37; 05-23-2014, 11:54 AM.
          98 M3/4/5

Comment

Used to play a tonne when I was in high school. I was part of our schools 6 man golf team.

My handicap was about 6 at its best, over a two year period in my junior and senior years.

Best round was a 73 at our home course, and i did it 4 or 5 times there. It was a par 71 though. Playing the same course lets you learn more about its approach angles so you get good at the same course and shave shots.

I only play once maybe twice a year for the last 15 years, and shoot around 90. Sometimes lower, sometimes higher, but never far either way.

Still swinging the same irons I had in my senior year.

Head/tyrolia 3-pw,
            three wedges to 60* of various makes,
            newer Taylor made driver 8* loft. She flies well.:)
            I also carry a recovery wood/ 7 wood type club, around 22* loft iirc
            Originally posted by codyep3
            I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
            2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
            1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
            1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
            2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
            2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
            2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
            2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
            2010 F650gs twin
            2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

My dad used to be an instructor and had his PGA card so I've played since I could stand but never took it too seriously. According to my dad, my brother and I would stop cars on the road with our swings when we were 4 or 5. Until they got stolen, I used Tommy Armour 845s irons, my dad's Titleist driver, and a Titleist Bullseye brass putter. I have been wanting to get another set of clubs and go play again but I have other things that need to be paid for first...
              Last edited by TimbyMaTombo; 05-23-2014, 12:20 PM.

Comment

I picked up golf about 5 years ago and play whenever possible, which is more in the spring summer and less in the fall because I coach soccer for a high school. I started playing at 24 and I'm 29 now so I had to develop my swing after the typical childhood learning curve was well over.

Best round was 78 on a par 72 course
                Usually find a birdie or two per round
                Never had an eagle or a hole-in-1

Typically shoot between 85-90, which a couple of years ago I would have been completely satisfied with, now it's disappointing as I would love to be in the upper 70's but I just don't know if I'll ever make it there, don't play enough to be that consistent.

My bag:

Taylormade r9 10.5* supertri driver
                Taylormade r11 4 wood
                Taylormade Burner 2.0 steel shaft irons 4-GW
                Cleveland CG16 Wedges 52*, 56*, 60*
                Old Wilson TPIII putter

I've been considering purchasing the Titleist AP2 Irons, feel like a move up to a midrange club might help lower the score, but I'm usually the kind of guy that subscribes to the belief that it's the operator and not the machinery. Any thoughts?

Comment

Wow, where do I start.

Started young, there is a picture of me in a nappie, with a dummy in my mouth and swinging a club. Played obsessively all through school, played provincial (state) golf never made the national team though. Best score was a 65 which I remember to this day just because the tournament I was playing in I was sure it would be a winner starting the last round 5 back with the best score for the 1st round being a 71, and was out played by a 62 from the leader. Lowest handicap was a +1.

Sadly i barely play these days too many hobbies taking up my money.

Clubs:

Titlest 980 (will be the only thing i really loook to replace antime soon)
                  Titleist 980f 3 wood

Mizuno Mp32 with rifle lite 6.2 shafts lofts bent 2 deg weaker from 6iron down and lie angle 2deg flat.

SW Cleveland 56 deg, and LW 60 deg both 2 deg flat with true temper x100 shafts

Putter is a Never Compromise center shaft, or a Scotty Cameron New Port Platinum

Ball used to be a Nike One Gold, but I hear they not longer make them. So not sure what I would play with now days

Comment

Played a 18 hole 2v2 scramble yesterday and we shot an 81 for the win. We were money inside 200 yards, unreliable off the tee though.

I've been working hard on my short game, so i guess now is the time to work on the driver.

It goes straight for about 180 yards, then hooks to the right.
                    Instagram
                    sigpic

Comment

You lefty or righty?
                      Originally posted by codyep3
                      I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                      2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                      1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                      1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                      2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                      2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                      2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                      2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                      2010 F650gs twin
                      2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Good thread! There are some great scores on here guys.

I use to hack around the course when I was like 17 years old and would probably shoot like 115.

I started playing again like 6 months ago and have had like 10 lessons which is the best money I have invested in golf besides the clubs. I consistently shoot in the mid 80s and should break 80 fairly soon if I could hit my driver. I am just using my fairway wood at the moment.

I purchased the mizuno jpx EZ set and a taylor made wood.

Anyone in LA that wants to play some time hit me up. We should get a r3v foursome going if we get enough.
                        sigpic
                        TRANSACTION FEEDBACK HERE
                        FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
                          You lefty or righty?
                          righty

so according to this picture, I have a straight fade to my ball flight, with the occasional push fade.

I have a lesson scheduled tonight, we'll see what the instructor says.
                          Instagram
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mcskibadee1 View Post
                            I started playing again like 6 months ago and have had like 10 lessons which is the best money I have invested in golf besides the clubs..
                            I'm glad to hear you say that - I started lessons last week. I purchased a block of 5 one hour lessons, but I'll keep reupping if I'm seeing the progress.

Last week he corrected my grip and started getting my to use my hips and put weight weight forward on the downstroke.

Tonight's lesson is strictly about my driver.
                            Last edited by BobombETA; 05-27-2014, 10:49 AM.
                            Instagram
                            sigpic

Comment

I play callaway fusion irons, one of the callaway carbon fiber body drivers (can't think of the model, was from maybe 3 models ago), Callaway Diable recue clubs, Cleveland wedges and a odyssey white hot putter. Two years ago I had a run on equipment, bought my driver which lead to irons, then wedges, then a putter and rescue then a new bag and two new pair of puma shoes.

I haven't played a lot in previous years which leads to me not being very good, working to play more and get better. Joined a league playing every other week and this coming Friday will be my third outing of the year and I have been at the range 3 or 4 times since spring broke. Considering some lessons this summer or in the fall. Consistency and stringing together good shots is my issue. I can drive great about 75% of the time irons are closer to 40% wedges about 60-75% and putting is absolute shit usually.

Saturday I played in a little inner company competition between the Americans and the Japanese. The US team won no thanks to me. but was still fun.

Best hole was in that event Saturday. about a 500 yard par 5. Decent drive into the rough about 5 feet off the fairway, pull the rescue 3 and get it onto the back edge of the green about 40-45 feet out. At this point think a decent putt will put me in range for a bird, end up draining the thing from that 40-45 foot range for my only eagle I have ever played.

I am a little worried after the playing tomorrow night and an event Friday this week I may need to shut it down for a few weeks though. My shoulders feel fine while playing but my right shoulder is achy like crazy the rest of the time. Just want to give it a rest until I play in my league again in a 2 weeks and maybe it will be rested out enough, otherwise I'll go find some Helga to give me one of those rough deep tissue massages.
                              Last edited by Jorgen; 05-27-2014, 11:03 AM.
                              2011 JGC daily, 1985 944

Comment

Working...
                              X