E39 Content: 2000 528iTA-->530iT/5-->530iT/6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zekerbox View Post
    Nice score. I love E39's I've owned/own a few. My father has 2 e39 M5's. great cars, along side the E30 of course. E39 was the last good 5 series in my opinion.
    Agreed. E60's are to computery for me

Comment

Updates! Happy Valentines Day! No CEL as of yet :). Decided to address the headlight issue...

Purple Haze

Took them out...

Nothing a little superglue can't fix...

What a mess!

Wetsanded with 800, 1500, and then 2000. Layed 3 coats of Lacquer and turned out much better than before.

ALOT easier to see at night...

Will post pics of it in the sunlight...

Went from this..

To this!

Comment

Good deal on that! White is a great color on those.

I have a '99 528iT, so this was cool to read through. Currently have mine parked until I fix the CCV, have a kit on the way. Found some pudding from condensation under my valve cover in the middle of doing my vanos replacement. Glad I caught it early enough. Part of it is my drives to work are too short and it doesn't get driven long enough to allow the moisture to evaporate. So be sure to test that your ccv is working properly too

Here's mine, 140k on it
        Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	7173722
        '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
        '91 Alpine 318i (Gone) Click Here
        '92 Alpine 325i Cabrio (Gone) Click Here
        '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

Awesome! Love the style 5's.
          Here is some picture of the headlights in the daylight.

Interior is next...

Comment

Picked up some driving gloves off of Craigslist for $15 :)

Comment

Well the Check Engine light came back on :curse:. I'm thinking it the breather system because its sluggish at low rpms, if you punch the gas its real slow, it blows out a lot of white smoke (no, not a headgasket), so my only option was to buy the whole CCV set and replace the whole system. Here we go.

Mayonnaise started coming out so this was most likely the issue...

Clogger

It's everywhere!

New hoses vs. old hoses.

ICV is real dirty.

Old (left) New (Right).

More mayonnaise

Decided to take care of that in the driveway with brakeleen...

Throttle body is real dirty also :(

Here's what I'm working with...

Got it all back together, thank God!

I made a mess in the garage!

Damn old hoses...

And valve.

Drove for a test drive, throttle response is MUCH better, I feel more power/torque, and the engine runs super smooth now :).

Now let's hope the Check Engine doesn't come back on......

Comment

Did you replace the dipstick?
                New dipstick has larger return pipe for the CCV system. The one on your existing dipstick is likely plugged, so you'll have another system failure in the near future.
                Below the radar...

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL View Post
                  Did you replace the dipstick?
                  New dipstick has larger return pipe for the CCV system. The one on your existing dipstick is likely plugged, so you'll have another system failure in the near future.
                  Interesting. I did not replace the dipstick. Will monitor if the CEL comes back. In other news, I passed emissions!:D

Comment

Funny you had to do the ccv after I mentioned it. How long did it take you?
                    '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
                    '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

Originally posted by shameson View Post
                      Funny you had to do the ccv after I mentioned it. How long did it take you?
                      6 Hours. I really took my time and it was my first time ever doing a breather system. I also took two breaks (one for lunch and dinner). Other than that, it's pretty straightforward. I found this video very useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSKuZFgAdWU:thankyou:

Comment

Originally posted by E30NJ View Post
                        6 Hours. I really took my time and it was my first time ever doing a breather system. I also took two breaks (one for lunch and dinner). Other than that, it's pretty straightforward. I found this video very useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSKuZFgAdWU:thankyou:
                        That's not too bad. I'll be doing it for my first time, so hopefully goes smoothly. I'm installing a new vanos as well (which I was doing originally) so I can kill two birds with one stone. I won't be surprised if I find copious amounts of mayo myself. Thanks for the link!

Question edit: did you remove your throttle body to get to the hoses?
                        Last edited by shameson; 02-23-2015, 08:08 PM.
                        '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
                        '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

Just found this nice pick up! Love e39's (last good 5 series). Good work so far!
                          Bmw CCA # 490080

1995 525iA RIP
                          1987 325e Cirrusblau-Metallic/Pacific Blue (Daily)

DSC_1725 by Matthew Johnson, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by shameson View Post
                            That's not too bad. I'll be doing it for my first time, so hopefully goes smoothly. I'm installing a new vanos as well (which I was doing originally) so I can kill two birds with one stone. I won't be surprised if I find copious amounts of mayo myself. Thanks for the link!

Question edit: did you remove your throttle body to get to the hoses?
                            Yes I did, not too bad only 4 nuts and when you put it back on, make sure the cable is "re-seated" in its channel on the body itself.

Comment

Ok so it's been cold! Anyway, the wagon is wagin and runs great. Smooth and comfy. I decided to install one of these bad boys:

One on the left is a donor and the one on the right is mine:

My headliner is slightly darker which is fine. I bought the whole thing for $20 with the main light in the center for $20 in the junkyard.

Shreadin' plastic

Getting there...

Small adjustments and trimming but all in all, it went back together nicely.

Installation!

Its in. The headliner looks "dented" but it's just the flash from the camera.

High exposure and slow shutter speed...

That's it for now. Next project will be front wheel bearings and I have Sachs shocks which make it a bit tougher by what I've read...

Comment

Ya the CCV system isn't too bad, I just did it on my e46 last summer. It can me intimidating for us old e30 guys as we're not used to it :)

Glad to hear that solved the problem. Did you get the updated hoses with the added insulation? One of the main failure points is that un-insulated hoses lead to condensation, causing that milkshake blockage nastiness.

Comment

Working...
                                X