X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
    Nice work! sub'd
    Thanks! I appreciate it.

Some backtracking, pulled the motor again. Without the lift we have to use a forklift like so. Changed the trans fluid, hammered the firewall, removed some sound deadening, shaved some bits on the tr6060. The shifter will need some fabbing tomorrow. I'm still debating whether or not to keep the A/C, It wont be expensive but it'll delay getting the car on the road!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4519.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	7186572

Comment

Oh yea my headers aren't coated lol. Those little coil wire heat sleeves are EXPENSIVE! They do a good job though.

I'd keep the AC. But it's also like 100F range here with 2000% humidity.

Comment

Originally posted by shiboujin View Post
        Oh yea my headers aren't coated lol. Those little coil wire heat sleeves are EXPENSIVE! They do a good job though.

I'd keep the AC. But it's also like 100F range here with 2000% humidity.
        Yeah they are expensive but with the brand new MSD wires sitting so close I kind of have too! and yeah here in Colorado the only thing I have to worry about is a heater.
        Today some mock up fans were test fitted. The factory pusher fan will be replaced with the Mishimoto fan and 2 slim pullers will be put right behind the rad.

Name:	IMG_4523.JPG
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	7186597
        Got some new rear rotors and hardware for the rears.

Name:	IMG_4528.JPG
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	7186599

Name:	IMG_4529.JPG
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	7186598
        Gear oil changed as well. As for the chassis reinforcements, the rear end might not have to come out to save time.

Comment

hell yeah man, me and you are literally almost at the same spot in our builds! it's coming a long good dude! it's funny you thread is 3 pages and already the motor is in...mine took like 14 pages. ahahha.
          e30Ls1 Swap IG: 1dirty30

Comment

Just a thought... I am to the point in power where the stock 5/16" fuel feed lines are limiting flow. With and LS3 you'll be in that same range if you do any upgrades especially if you do E85. While its all apart might be something to look into upgrading lines.
            Worlds 1st LS powered e30 cabby.
            Cab
            billac: 92 Lagunengrün cabriolet + cadillac LQ9 + Nitrous + rotiform SJC

Raphael: 88 Lagunengrün IX + Hella 500's + Red ACS type 1's

Shaggin Wagon
            : 01 325xiT 5 speed

91 MR2 GT3076TS + E85 = 505whp + antilag = wheelies
            88 CRX OEM+ 42mpg DD.

Comment

Originally posted by Reyhan335 View Post
              hell yeah man, me and you are literally almost at the same spot in our builds! it's coming a long good dude! it's funny you thread is 3 pages and already the motor is in...mine took like 14 pages. ahahha.
              Lol well I did start the thread when I was halfway done with the build! Thanks though, if all goes well it should be up and running within the week.

Originally posted by bmk View Post
              Just a thought... I am to the point in power where the stock 5/16" fuel feed lines are limiting flow. With and LS3 you'll be in that same range if you do any upgrades especially if you do E85. While its all apart might be something to look into upgrading lines.
              I thought about it, but since this is a LS swap my budget doesn't allow that to happen lol. I will definitely do that in the future with heads/cam or FI. But as for E85, the only place that offers it here in Colorado Springs is Kum & Go which is god awful. The only way I would ever do that is if I bought E85 in drums from a local company. Which as you can imagine isn't the cheapest.

Got some parts in today!
              1350 driveshaft yoke which is rated to 1000+ hp so this will not be a problem in the near future.

Name:	IMG_4530.JPG
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	7186621
              2 Mishimoto slim fans since the big one doesn't fit.

Name:	IMG_4535.jpg
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	7186622
              Chassis Reinforcement kit all welded on and finished.

Name:	IMG_4534.JPG
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	7186623
              I also got some new hella headlights which I didn't snag a pic of. Both outers that have high and low beams. We will throw in some 90w bulbs and will also need to modify the harness a bit to handle that. Should be very bright.

Comment

The shifter bracket in the works. The shifter had to be moved forward a few inches so it's very tight.

Name:	IMG_4532.JPG
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	7186624

Welding pencil rod to make it stiffer.

Name:	IMG_4537.JPG
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	7186625

The finished product. The aluminum bracket flexes a little bit but other than that it's great.

Name:	IMG_4540.JPG
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	7186626

Here is a pic of the TINY selector rod. Bit of a pain to make and it took a while but it fits surprisingly well.

Name:	IMG_4539.JPG
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	7186627

Comment

FINALLY! The project was put on halt waiting for a complete poly suspension kit and a clutch line. Both of them came in and then we could finally put the diff and engine back in the car.. I hope to God the engine doesn't have to come out again.
                  Sorry for the bad pictures in advance, it was late.
                  Poly Bushings from Garagistic in the diff and the diff is back in! If we can find a large case diff in a junkyard nearby we might be upgrading. The stock diff is a ticking time bomb with this TQ.

Name:	IMG_4552.JPG
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	7188113

After a few hours the motor was put back in. Nothing broke thankfully.

Name:	IMG_4557.JPG
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	7188114
                  How the shifter lines up. Not bad the shifter hole did need a little bit of cutting in the rear but nothing bad.

Name:	IMG_4559.JPG
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	7188115
                  Radiator back in. Need to modify that hose a bit.

Name:	IMG_4563.JPG
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	7188117
                  Here is the car finally sitting on the ground again. It's been too long since this has happened. I think it sits noticeably lower. Maybe half an inch or more. Ill have to take a better pic in the light and compare. Only a few things left to do.
                  Attached Files

Comment

great progress!
                    95 7.1L 16V E36 M3
                    Motorsport Hardware ***Wheel studs and Spacers!!!--->FOR SALE 4/5 Lug Stud Conversion Kits available CLICK HERE
                    LIKE my Facebook Page! CLICK HERE

Comment

hell yeah man!!! keep it up!
                      e30Ls1 Swap IG: 1dirty30

Comment

looks good!

Comment

With all the ls swap builds going on, we need to arrange a meet somewhere when we all finish up. :)
                          Current: '91 DS M3, '03 TS M3 (6MT)
                          '06 Chevy 2500 Duramax - Race car hauler, '90 Corvette - Weekend toy
                          Past: '88 AW M3, '87 RB M6, '98 CS M3, '88 DS M3, '88 Zinno M3, '88 AW SETA (facelift),
                          1988 Super E (Bronzit - grey wrap)- RIP, 1986 353, 1986 VW Jetta (vr6) - Racecar

IG: RDE_Fabrications
                          Check us out
                          Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

Originally posted by Reyhan335 View Post
                            hell yeah man!!! keep it up!
                            Originally posted by 90e30ls View Post
                            looks good!
                            Thanks! I appreciate it.
                            Originally posted by sgtskid View Post
                            With all the ls swap builds going on, we need to arrange a meet somewhere when we all finish up. :)
                            Definitely! How about airstrip attack? Once I get proper tires I'll definitely be doing that!

Not a big update, Just sorting out a few things. The shifter base was hitting the top of the tranny tunnel, so it was cut and repaired to fit. It's put on with only sheet metal screws for easily removal.
                            I'll have to snap a pic of the finished product.

Name:	IMG_4569.JPG
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	7188358
                            So it turns out the big fan from Mishimoto is too thick to fit with the condenser so that's being removed until a later date. Once I decide I need A/C I'll have to figure out a solution for that.

Name:	IMG_4580.JPG
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	7188359
                            Here is the clutch bleeder line. It's a bit longer than anticipated but it'll make bleeding the clutch much easier.

Name:	IMG_4572.JPG
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	7188361
                            Last but not least some oil lines were tucked to the side neatly so I don't destroy them on the ground. Only a few things left to do.

Name:	IMG_4581.JPG
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	7188360

Comment

Got the radiator mounted with the slim fans, they have a tiny bit of clearance left. Here are some pics to show you how tight it is.

Name:	IMG_4585.JPG
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	7188548

Name:	IMG_4584.JPG
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	7188549

Name:	IMG_4586.JPG
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	7188547
                              Also the bypass valve is all hooked up in the OEM location, very tight squeeze but it's on. Also, the coolant reservoir bottle surprisingly fits with the OEM mounting points.

Name:	IMG_4601.JPG
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	7188550
                              How are you guys mounting the washer fluid bottle? I was thinking of getting a small custom aluminum box made to fit in the front battery tray. And for the LS1 guys is the tensioner pulley right in the way for the intake? I might need to get a low profile pulley just so I can have a 4" pipe all the way.

Comment

I'm going with the katech tensioner. Not sure if it will give you clearance but I'm running my intake to the drivers side. I'm also doing a remote power steering reservoir on the drivers side. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5309.JPG
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	7188569Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5310.JPG
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	7188570Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5311.JPG
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	7188571