engine problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine problems

So a bit ago i bought a pretty rough e30 because I've never really worked on cars so i didn't want to destroy a nice one so i'm currently trying to fix the engine. so far it sounds like just about every cylinder is misfiring and i know they are all getting spark it runs and drives and idles ok once up to temp but still misfires really just looking for suggestions on things to do besides throw my wallet at it.

Explain in more detail. Misfire at all RPM's? What car do you have? 4 cyl 6 cyl? eta or i? manual? auto? No one will know how to help you over the internet without a lot more information.

Nice to see another MA member! I've been out of the e30 game for a while and still don't have one but check in here every once in a while.
    BMW tech
    Umass Amherst
    05 wrx sti

Comment

Originally posted by mGrady159 View Post
      So a bit ago i bought a pretty rough e30 because I've never really worked on cars so i didn't want to destroy a nice one so i'm currently trying to fix the engine. so far it sounds like just about every cylinder is misfiring and i know they are all getting spark it runs and drives and idles ok once up to temp but still misfires really just looking for suggestions on things to do besides throw my wallet at it.
      Random misfire:
      1, Is the fuel of good quality? water in fuel triggers random misfires.
      2, check the ignition distributor and cap for condition, and for carbon tracks inside the cap.
      3, leaky/clogged fuel injectors could contribute.
      4, A rough old car will swallow your wallet..you spend good money for a nice old car or you spend good money trying to make a ratty example good, no matter your mechanical skills.
      5, Is the static engine timing up to spec?

m

Comment

Working...
      X